95% battery health after 5 cycles, normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSK1121, Dec 2, 2007.

1. JSK1121 macrumors member

Using my brand new Blackbook and as you can tell from the subject, iStat tells me that my battery health after 5 cycles is only at 95%. Is this normal, or should I get a replacement battery from Apple?

Much obliged.

2. 119576 Guest

Definitely not normal. Have you calibrated your battery since you got it?

If you calibrate and it's still that low, you should probably get a replacement battery.

3. trippr macrumors member

trippr

i wouldn't worry to much. It wil prob go back up.. Ive only had 3 cycles and its on 99%.. i remember it going below that..

4. JSK1121 thread starter macrumors member

how do you calibrate your battery? I'm new to the mac, so I'm kind of in the dark here. Thanks!

5. texfire macrumors member

wow, I'm at 86% health, 16 cycles...
    guess I'll be getting a new battery in a couple months.

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

It should go back once you calibrate it. Do you leave it plugged in all the time?

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Calibrate it now!

I'm at 81% and I've just passed the 400 cycle mark. (eeep! not even had the MBP a year! :eek: )

I'm going to do mine tonight - just realised I haven't done it since, um, well, evar. :eek:

8. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

One of my batteries is down to 67% after 7 cycles and I DO calibrate regularly :( In fact, I fully charged the battery last night and turned-off the machine before going to bed. When I tried to turn on the machine it was completely dead and I had to plug it in to turn it on.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That one needs replacing, mine is at 80% after 274 cycles.

Coconut Battery is reporting it as 7 for me, which is wrong, you can find the real figure in Apple Menu==>About This Mac==>More Info==>Power.

With regards to the OP's questing 95% after 5 cycles sounds OK, but it should still be at a similar figure after 50 to 100 cycles.

With regards to my battery, I have done no conditioning at all, though I do drain it fairly low most days, as you can see from the high cycle count, as the machine is only 14 months old (and I spent a month in Vietnam, and Thailand in September).