95% battery life after just 5 days?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by haydn!, May 2, 2010.

1. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I've just installed coconut battery on my 2010 MacBook Pro, it was delivered last wednesday. It shows 3 battery cycles which would seem about right, but the capacity is now 95% of its original.

Is this normal?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you calibrated it yet?
    www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Also MRoogle will give you dozens of threads, thousand and more I think, about that same issue.

Btw, battery health fluctuates, I got to 93% once and now it is 99% again.

3. haydn! thread starter macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I hadn't let it run down to nothing and had just found that link on Apples site before you replied! I'm going to give that a go now.

Thanks for your response :)

4. Haruhi macrumors regular

ifa ll else fail;s then it vcan be a faulty battery. it may be 1 in 1000 butr sti.ll, it is quite likely if youj think abolut it that one electronic prodiocut you own in youjr life has a faulty part.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you in some way not sober? Or is your keyboard, spell check and display broken?

6. wickersty macrumors newbie

haha not every post makes me literally laugh out loud. well done, sir

7. No ice please macrumors 6502

Umm... What?

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I often see my battery at 98% rather than 100%, and I calibrated as soon as I got it. I'd be worried if the battery were down to 90% by next week, but otherwise I don't think it's anything to be concerned by.

My money's on impaired. Avoid texting any friends, Facebook, and online shopping until you've slept on it and had a half-dozen cups of coffee and some aspirin to clear up that splitting headache.

http://www.theonion.com/video/insidious-worm-makes-unauthorized-purchases-when-c,14399/

9. Snoboi macrumors newbie

Spokane WA is Home, but Currently Anchorage AK
    I just read you attached link didn't find clear info on Ideal Charging and discharging, but I was wonderin if it's best to plug it in whenever possible and discharge and recharge once a month like the link recommends or if it's best to discharge you computer fully and then recharge and repeat to "keep the juices flowin"???

I tend to use it everyday and am by an outlet 90% of the time.... I just don't wanna diminish the life of my battery by constantly plugging it in or vise versa....

Any info would help... thanks

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Leaving the plug in doesn't damage modern batteries, a calibration once in a while does do some good. If you use MRoogle, you'll find hundreds of threads about this.

I use my Apple notebooks with a power plug most of the time, and once a week I use it on battery. Sometimes I even use it more on battery than on the plug. I still have good battery health after 100 and 200 cycles (95 t0 99%).

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Personally, I'd trust Apple to know a thing or two about how their computers work.

More info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

12. haydn! thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a quick update on this. I completed the calbration cycle and battery capacity is now showing 100%.

Thanks for your help and advice!

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Speaking of paulty farts, I mean faulty parts...