$950 for a 27" iMac - good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bakkp, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bakkp macrumors newbie

Hi, I am buying a new computer for my parents and decided to get them an iMac. I found a 27" iMac on craigslist with the following specs:

-27 inch display, 2560x1440 resolution
    -3.06 ghz
    -4GB DDR3 RAM
    -1TB Hard Drive
    -ATI Radeon HD 4670
    -Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion (lastest operating system)
    -Magic Mouse, Wireless Keyboard
    -Box and software discs included

My parents would be just using this simple internet usage and watching videos.
    Would this iMac last a while for them to use and is it a good deal?
    Thanks

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It seems fair for what you have listed, but the condition of it will make or break the deal - if the condition is "good" then I would say go for it.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

What he said, Good or Mint, I would go for it too. Then add more ram for cheap.

4. bakkp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, thats good to know.
    But I am still worried about the GPU. Will it be able to hold up for about 4-5 years from now?

5. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

internet and videos shouldn't stress the video card.

6. bakkp thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any components I should be ready to upgrade/replace? Or will everything hold up for the next few years.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I wouldn't worry about GPU in a situation like this. I don't really know how long it will hold up - not really sure if there is a "life expectancy" for graphics modules, I suppose if it is taxed heavily it will effect it, but it's designed to be used of course.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-3.06-27-inch-aluminum-late-2009-specs.html

$950 is probably a little high. I linked everymac to show the model. Their current retail pricing suggestions are always unrealistic, especially if you're figuring used pricing. They originally sold for $1700 and debuted just under 3 years ago. Past mountain lion I'm not sure how long they'll run the current OS. The gpu is on an older OpenGL and it lacks OpenCL 1.1. I'd say whatever follows mountain lion is likely to be its last.

If you mean run, as long as there is no hardware failure. If you mean run the latest OSX revision at that time, absolutely not. The supported hardware instructions are slightly older today, and I do not see Apple making any effort to pull this along. Beyond that it matters how heavily this machine was used. If it's 3 years old and well used, take a look at the display to ensure that it's in good condition. All displays drift over time. This includes every display on the market.

9. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I would this get a Brand New iMac or a refurbish one from the Apple Online Store.

10. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I live in the greatest city in the world-N.Y.C.
    ;)Hi, I couldn't help reading but it seems similar to my iMac except mine is a 21.5 and I have 500GB HD int. & ext. also I upgraded to 12GB of Ram but everything else is the same.I purchased my iMac last August and I expect and hope it to last a good 4-5 yrs. The only problems I've had so far have been
    software conflicts. But they slowly straighten out as everything starts to work together on Mountain Lion 10.8.1, but $950. for a 27 in. iMac ? Hey, I think thats a heck of a deal. I would want to know how often was it used and when was it purchased? It's a tad bigger then mine but only cheaper so ask a few questions to be sure. It sounds like a great deal and probably is.But its good to be sure anyway, so find out all you could about it.*:apple:

2011 iMac 21.5 12GB 500GB HD ext.& 500GB HD ext OS X 10.8.1 ML:apple:

11. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

12. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

You can squeeze around 2-3 years most likely. 5-6 years is tops for a computer nowadays. My MacBook is 4 years old and its starting to slow down a bit.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You don't seem to understand what is incorrect with your statement. A 2011 27" is worth considerably more than an older one. You can get a refurb from Apple for $1400. $950 for one that is 3 years old without a warranty is not a heck of a deal. It's leveraged by the large display, and you have no way of knowing how much life is left in it.