96% Battery after only 8 cycles. Should I be Concerned?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ctt713, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Ctt713 macrumors member

Basically what my title says. I am showing 96% battery life and right after I calibrated my battery when I first got my mac about three weeks ago I was showing about 7050 mAh. I have ran it dead twice since fully calibrating it. I understand 96% is by no means bad but it has drained almost 500mAh in less than a month. Should I be concerned for the future?

Attached Files:

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

No, it will fluctuate often

mine was at 97% with just 2 cycles the other day, now it's at 99% @ 3 cycles

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

100% @ 31 cycles but mine fluctuated several times also.

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

There's no need to calibrate the modern laptop batteries monthly or that often, they are much more intelligent than they were in the past and are capable of taking care of themselves.

It is perfectly normal to see the numbers changing each cycle even in the worse direction. The time when you should start worrying is when the battery are consistently getting worse drastically, for example if it goes from 95% to 50% and stay there for more than a couple of days.

6. Ctt713 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the responses. I hated to ask but it was a little scary seeing it drop so fast. istat is still showing it at 97% so hopefully it won't drop much from 20-50 cycles to stay on par for normal depletion.

7. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Don't worry about it, and stop running it dead so often -- that's actually detrimental for lithium batteries.

My MBP's battery capacity actually started out at around 98%, with continued use, the maximum capacity has actually increased to over 100%, and currently fluctuates around 7200mAh.

Just give it time.

8. sauer228 macrumors member

Mine is about a month old and it quickly dropped to 94% and now is back up to 97%.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Read the following:

10. snailmale macrumors newbie

ah ok thats reassuring, because I'm on 97% after 3 cycles, and it seems to be dropping each time I unplug, despite the fact that I've just calibrated it recently. ok let's hope things head back up northward again soon then.

11. mansanas macrumors regular

what i noticed with the battery capacity fluctuation is that, when i do something that drains the battery really fast, like vmware fusion, hd vids etc.. the capacity decreases, then when i just do light stuff and really try to conserve the battery, ie 50% brightness, the capacity increases...
    and when its plugged in it stays the same, so what i do now is i keep it plugged when im doing heavy battery draining stuff, and i unplug it when im just doing light browsing and stuff.
    maybe its just me but thats what i noticed.

12. snailmale macrumors newbie

i just unplugged my laptop a couple of hours ago, and battery capacity has increased along the way. so yeah do relax, i guess its not as constant as u would think it would be, and its not a downward only kind of thing.

13. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I'm freakin out here. 95% after 12 cycles. I was hoping it would stay at 100% or 99% at least for the next 50 cycles!

I thought these batteries were supposed to go 1000 cycles before going down to 80%? At this rate, it seems it will be at 80% by 100 cycles!

AHHH!

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I suppose you haven't read any of the information provided here?

One example:

That's how I like it. Quoting myself quoting someone else. [​IMG]