960 Grid system - Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Apple Key, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

I wanted to get some of your thoughts on the usage of the 960 grid system in a production environment. What are some of the pros and cons vs using custom css?

2. walangij macrumors 6502

What's your experience with CSS?
    Some would argue that using a grid like 960gs or blueprint allows for quicker development and tight control of positioning. It is also easier IMO to use than a custom CSS layout.

That said I prefer custom coding for more control over all aspects of the page. I personally use a custom CSS template (full of resets and general layouts I find myself using often) that I made for most of my projects. For the record I use drupal and find that it's been easier to theme now not using a grid framework. Especially with responsive web. But some may disagree.

I would say ultimately it's personal preference.

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

+1 True about that, couldn't put it better myself.

960G is standard and easy(ish) and fast to develop from, it allows for easy integration of ad unit and collateral while most agencies prefer to work to this standard because of its consistency.

Many designers do say that it *can* be limiting to work to from a pure creative standpoint however it creates a solid visual system, balance and an organised platform to design a site from.

Again it's standard for a reason and there's no need reinvent the wheel, though if you're concerned about 960G then I'd suggest reading this article and grabbing this oldy but goldy

4. Apple Key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

I am very experienced with CSS, and can put together any custom design. I do all of my css by hand. I am a graphic designer and web designer, so I am very familiar with the grid system (although I admit it is a tool that I do not use all that often).

I'm working on the layout of a web application (mostly form based) do you think there will be benefit gains by using the 960gs, or will it end up being limiting in the end?

The application will be ever changing and developing based upon client needs and the layout of the various forms are quite varied. I'm not looking to use it as a visual guide for placement of the page elements.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Interesting, wasn't sure what level you were at before. From my experience 960 grid is good, though I can see it changing specifically due to mobile.

I really think it depends on the purposing of what you're trying to achieve for the client.

6. jwm2 macrumors regular

Check the grid960 website, it has plenty of examples and why its good to use it. Its scaleable to just about any resolution including mobile displays, so imo its perfect for most projects.

7. Apple Key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to go with custom CSS, for the most flexibility and ease of updating (using simple css naming conventions).

But for hardcore developers who aren't that familiar with CSS, I'll recommend the grid system to quickly lay out their pages.