Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I was wondering if u guys knew which one was better
it appears in that the whole deal w/ two graphics chip is that it switches off manually (when u prefer it) and not use two simultaneously.. (correct me if im wrong)

the new MBP is 1899 (edu discount)
and the ever so famous refurb MBP w/ 512mb 8600GT for 1499

So heres my dilemma
First off, the price difference

The Pros for new MBP:
Trackpad (im REALLY liking it)
Two Toned color, and new design (THIS IS A HUGGGE PLUS, ascetics are big for me)

Con for New MBP:
Only FW 800 (not too bad cause i actually use FW800 instead of fw400)
Glossy? (not too bad either other than the fact that i only do photo editing as a hobby, nothing professional or serious on printing etc...)
Expensive??? is it worth the 400 dollars more??

Pros for old MBP:
uh.. extra ports? real dvi port?, no stupid mini micro crap dvi w/e it is that apple keeps inventing
Matte? (not really too much like i said above, id PREFER it but not absolutely necessary
CHEAPER! but even though im receiving this as a gift, i dont wanna just 'waste' my sister's money

Cons for old MBP:
NO COOL BUTTONLESS TRACKPAD (i really want that!!)
8600GT Could still be faulty??

Well, that pretty much sums it up.. i guess it comes down to money really
I really love the new look of the mBP in my opinion

Oh and i will be using this for web/music/office/iwork w/e
and the most graphic intense thing i can think of is aperture (i will be dealing w/ RAW images too)

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
I think what you are paying for mostly is the "look" factor with the new MBP. Even if there are faulty graphic chips, they only hit a minority of the MBP and Apple is taking corrective steps to fix them.

I am sure the 9600 is better than the 8600, but it's not a terrible night/day difference. That being said, there is little difference between 256mb 8600 and the 512mb 8600. (barefeats.com). I might try and save a little more and get the MBP for 1349.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.