Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
So, the few times that I've tried playing WoW on the 9600GT, my temperatures have been monstrously high. The keyboard and traackpad area get really hot, and the underside is toasty.

I also noticed choppy performance in some areas, like stuttering and skipped frames. Could my card be crapping out?

In Mumbai, the ambient temps are pretty high, all year round. Anybody heard reports of these chips malfunctioning due to high temps?

Any suggestions to mitigate this issue would be appreciated greatly.

Also, has anybody seen the thermal paste situation on these new MBPs? The Penryn MBPs had excessive thermal paste applied that caused the overheating.

Anyone here proceeded with this adventure yet?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So, the few times that I've tried playing WoW on the 9600GT, my temperatures have been monstrously high. The keyboard and traackpad area get really hot, and the underside is toasty.

I also noticed choppy performance in some areas, like stuttering and skipped frames. Could my card be crapping out?

In Mumbai, the ambient temps are pretty high, all year round. Anybody heard reports of these chips malfunctioning due to high temps?

Any suggestions to mitigate this issue would be appreciated greatly.

Also, has anybody seen the thermal paste situation on these new MBPs? The Penryn MBPs had excessive thermal paste applied that caused the overheating.

Anyone here proceeded with this adventure yet?

If you feel it's getting to hot, I would suggest getting some sort of fan control for OS X. If you're running in Windows/Boot Camp, it is perfectly normal to have a hot computer. As for the sluggish performance, it's not the GPU failing. Some areas in WoW will cause you FPS and performance to drop no matter how good your video card (I have never not experienced a drop in FPS/performance regardless of video card). As for the thermal paste, for the most part users have posted pretty reasonable temperatures for their computer so I don't think it's a big problem.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
If you feel it's getting to hot, I would suggest getting some sort of fan control for OS X. If you're running in Windows/Boot Camp, it is perfectly normal to have a hot computer. As for the sluggish performance, it's not the GPU failing. Some areas in WoW will cause you FPS and performance to drop no matter how good your video card (I have never not experienced a drop in FPS/performance regardless of video card). As for the thermal paste, for the most part users have posted pretty reasonable temperatures for their computer so I don't think it's a big problem.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.