9600GT, Poor FPS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigD58, Jan 10, 2009.

1. BigD58 macrumors regular

Okay so i recently got CoD4 for mac. While i am playing the game i get bad dips to about 15 fps and the game gets very choppy. I am running the game on pretty low settings (no shadows,AA) I am using a Unibody MBP 2.4ghz,4GB of DDR3. Shouldn't the 9600GT be able to handle CoD4? Or am i just expecting too much? And yes i do have the 9600GT enabled. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. OPsDad macrumors member

Similar thread

There is another thread here with a similar title that basically says the OSX driver for the 9600GT is not very good. I'm not a gamer, so I've not noticed anything, but I'm still concerned should I get a game in the future to play with my son.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Try playing the game in windows, so return it if you can and buy the PC version, and you should get better fps.

ChrisN

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

I have OSX for school/work, and windows for games, I'd like to keep them separate. And I can confirm that cod4 does play pretty well on the 9600 in windows xp.

on another note, I just installed windows 7 beta, and used the boot camp drivers which I presume are made for vista, and I get 10fps more then i got in XP in my fav racing sim LFS. I'm pretty impressed with Windows 7 performance...

5. iamthebest22 macrumors newbie

For me, I updated my Nvidia drivers to the most current and stable one on my Vista 64 bit on my macbook pro. I get like 40-50 fps on all max settings. Try updating your video drivers if you haven't. If it's for Windows that is.

EDIT: Just noticed that you have COD4 for mac, I don't know why it's doing that. Are you sure you have the 9600M and not the 9400M on?

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Really? 15FPS?

On my 2.0 Alu. MacBook, I was getting about 30-40FPS, constant... and it wasn't even on the lowest settings. Every thing was medium.

7. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

I've got the same Performance Problem with my MBP Late 2008 2,53GHz :)
    Even an iMac with ATI HD2600 does perform much better.
    I don't know if Aspyr will offer any Patch (for 9600M GT) or if we have to wait for Apple releasing better Nvidia Drivers.

What's the best way to check the 9600 overall Performance (OSX of course)? I'm a little bit worried if i will be able to play the upcoming SC2 and Diablo3.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Don't even bother trying to game on OSX. Direct X is better than OpenGL or whatever OSX uses by a long shot. Mac hardware is decently capable for gaming; you just need to have it run natively on Windows.

9. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

Very true.
    But i can run COD4 Mac on an "OSX" Desktop with 8800GT installed at 1920x1200 with >65 FPS. Therefore i hoped the new MBP would handle it at 1440x900 with >30 FPS :(

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

Don't blame OpenGL for bad drivers. :p

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

bahaha, yea blame it on the crappy conversion thingoes that they have.

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Aspyr is the undisputed king of crappy Mac ports (and infrequent software patches), but they're an evil we all live with because they're parented by EA, who makes a rather significant chunk of the games we play.

One of my biggest beefs with Aspyr has always been SimCity 4. After all these years, they STILL haven't managed to make the game stable and glitch-free, even running natively on a PowerPC. $50 for a game that doesn't work and cannot be returned for a refund. If that isn't robbery, I don't know what is. Eventually, I ate it and bought the Windows version.

In rare instances, you'll run into a game by a developer who was actually thoughtful enough to develop both a Windows and Mac version simultaneously. But for the most part, if I really want to play a game, I'll just buy the Windows version and Boot Camp into XP.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i hear you, loud and clear! that is what really frustrates me about EA and Aspyr! they dont give a damn about us Apple users, even though we would make up a large chunk of their sales.. heven forbid if they would make a game that actually ran at the same speed as on the PC version then it might actually sell well *shock horror*

14. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

For me, COD4 Mac Edition does run at the same speed as my PC Version (nearly). But not with my new MBP and Apples great driver support for the 9600 GPU...

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

This has absolutely nothing to do with OpenGL. Nvidia's drivers for Mac are absolutely pathetic. In fact this, along with the 8600 issues makes me wish Apple would just tell Nvidia to get ****ed. My friends 2/3 year old X1900 XT outperforms the 8800GT in OS X with pro apps.

Secondly, Direct X is better for games because its mostly a gaming API. All/most Pro apps on Windows or OS X or Linux use OpenGL because its better for its intended task. To say DX is better than OpenGL is completely retarded.