9600GT problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seanconn, Feb 18, 2010.

1. seanconn macrumors member

I'm waiting for the new mbp's to come out, but if the update isn't as major as i hoped... and the only thing I'm hoping for is a meaningful improvement from the 9600GT with 512DDR3 and maybe an i5 in the top of the line. (sure i7 would be nice, but i don't know how well it would fit into the 7 hour battery life)

right now the 7 hour battery life is based off using the 9400m anyways. so upgrading to a card that consumes more power than the 9600GT shouldn't be such a freaking issue!!!

[anyways, I'm basically just wondering if there have been problems with the 9600Gt similar to the 8600GT??? If there have been, that will pretty much make up my mind if the "old" 2.8 model is say 400 dollars cheaper in the refurb store, compared to the new mbp (even if the new one only has i5 and an ATI 5830 or something) Ati laptop cards just seem outclass NVIDIA by far. I had no problems with the x1600 in my old mbp.

I should have just bought the 2.4 15" mbp in the refurb store while I had the chance, this waiting is the worst.

2. Sace macrumors member

I don't think that anyone knows for sure. Some claims, that the 9600 chip is just as bad as the 8600 model.

But people use the 9600 chip a lot less, when they have two diffent cards - Maybe that keeps the failure rate a lot lower than on the old model.