Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Very well written, good stuff. So I'm guessing if i run stuff on an external monitor with higher resolution (ACD LED), it might be worth it for the 512 config?

It's actually an over simplification and the fact is that benchmarks already show the advantages of a biiger frame buffer (i.e. when you apply AA to games). High end video cards with shallow buses (256 bit) and GDDR5 (dual parallel for a 4x effective data rate) are among the best performing desktop cards on the market.

My advice is stick to sources like Anandtech or Notebookreview (full disclosure and self-promotion: I have about 40 reviews on there) that show empirical test results and skip the fly-by advice like this and previous posts. It is usually well intentioned but often wrong.

My observation is as a long time mac user is that Mac users are incredibly technical software users - squeezing amazing work out of apps like PS and ProTools. But y'all are hopeless when it comes to the guts inside.

That's OK. That is why we buy Macs - output is king.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.