9600m GT dead? HELP!Mini-Display port causes internal macbook pro screen to go blank.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turugara, Jan 1, 2010.

1. turugara macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I always use my macbook pro 15.4", late 08, 2.4ghz 9600m GT 256 laptop with my 24" external display. Today when I woke up to plug in my display via the Apple DVI Mini-Display Port adapter, both my external display and my macbook pro's display would go blank and receive no signal. This happens in both the OSX 10.6.2 and Windows 7 Professional via boot camp.

However, if I switch the "Power Options" to the Power Saving (9400m), there is absolutely no problem. I can plug in my 24" display and it would show up like normal. This only occurs when the High Performance 9600m GT is being used.

What I don't get is why, if I don't connect an external display with my 9600m GT selected, the macbook pro's display works fine. It's only when I plug in the mini-display port DVI adapter that everything goes to hell.

Help =(?

2. turugara thread starter macrumors regular

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

4. turugara thread starter macrumors regular

Yep

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Get Apple to take a ganders and they should fix it for you. Definitely a problem though.

6. turugara thread starter macrumors regular

I talked with apple over the phone and the only answer they could come up with is that my display was not compatible. However I have used this monitor for a long time with this laptop and it has always worked. They suggested that I setup a genius appointment. I'll do that and see if I can solve this issue.