9600m GT Not Recognised

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomhkkid, Jan 10, 2011.

1. randomhkkid macrumors member

Hey first post :). My macbook pro 15" wouldn't turn on a couple of days ago but yesterday i turned it on and everything seemed to work. Then i realised that the iSight and bluetooth weren't working. Apart from that it was fine. I then decided i wanted to use windows through bootcamp but when i tried to start it up it just black screened and didn't boot up. I then realised that it might be my graphics card so i went into system profiler and found this. I then tried both the PRAM reset and a SMC reset it didn't fix it. Is there anything else i can do? Or should i just take it to apple?

Thanks in advance

P.S Sorry that this post is quite long

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

its the mid 2009 core 2 duo 2.66 with 256mb video ram 9600m gt + 9400m

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Go into System Preferences and then click on Energy Saver and post a screen shot of the window.

5. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Here are screenshots. The second one is after i choose high performance and log out.

Attached Files:

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ok with "High Performance" selected (log out when prompted to do so), go back into System Profiler and see what it lists and post a screen shot.

7. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

It hasn't changed it keeps saying i need to log out for the changes to take affect.

Attached Files:

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's probably affecting the whole system but try creating a new user account (as administrator) and see if the problem still exists.

9. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

I tried and its still the same problem the 9600m GT isn't detected.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I guess the next troubleshooting steps would be to repair permissions and then reinstall but it looks like neither is going to fix the problem. I suggest taking it to the Apple Store to have them check it out, possibly for repair.

Another option would be to install Windows through Boot Camp. If that works, then it's likely an OS issue and in that case, a reinstall should be attempted.

11. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot :) I'll try to reinstall windows. If not i guess its a trip to the Apple store :)

12. difelice macrumors newbie

I have the same problem!

Hi I'm having the same problem. How did you solve this? Thanks

13. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

Just incase you return to this thread it was a motherboard issue that Apple decided to fix free of charge. The bluetooth and iSight problem was also caused by monitor failure.
    So both the motherboard and screen were replaced.