9600m Successor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BothBarsOn, May 15, 2009.

1. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I hope to be getting a Macbook Pro at some point soon and while I'm definitely waiting for WWDC and Snow Leopard (later still, right?), I was wondering what's the general feeling about GPUs.

Am I right in thinking that the next revisions are going to be processor or hard drive bumps? Or is a 9600m successor likely before 2010, say?

Thanks in advance. Hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere. I looked, I swear!

2. iMacmatician macrumors 601

CPU is likely (+133 MHz). HD maybe not since they were bumped in October. I don't specifically know the successor to the 9600M, but there are upcoming GeForce 100M series.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I doubt the 9600m will be succeeded soon going by the pattern of MBP Classic revisions. Two revisions had the 8600m only changes being the VRAM offerings between the revisions.

So either they offer 512MB/1GB VRAM in the next update or maybe go to the 9700m like they did with the Radeon 9600/9700 in the PowerBook days

More likely to be a processor (macs portables will finally reach 3GHz mark)/HD bump (320 standard and 500GB BTO)

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It is official I think - Someone told me what it was -

9400M goes to the iGT209
    600M GT is hmm. It's one of their performance netbook GPUs - from the GeForce 9 series. Presumably the
    GEFORCE GTX SERIES and GEFORCE GTS SERIES would be too much power hungry / TDP?

Seeing as Nvidia is talking about having hotswappable hybrid GPUs (HybridPower I think it's called) - so you can change between 2, then they might be able to get away with putting in a more powerful, battery hungry GPU?

They have E3, and also Computex prior to WWDC. We know they'll be giving some more info on Atom and Tegra, so they're likely to have some more on updates for these chips too. If Apple is getting something new, Apple could get Nvidia to keep quiet about it, but we'll see.
    Last year's Computex had enough new material

5. fokket macrumors regular

130M GT is the most likely candidate I think.

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

agreed. The GT 130M is already the replacement for the 9600. It offers only slight improvements. Google it for reviews.

You won't see anything else in it. No high performence GTX or GTS series. Come on get real. The notebook is less than an 1" thin.

7. BothBarsOn thread starter macrumors regular

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

There is the possibility of hard drive bumping action. If not as standard, there should be 500 GB 5,400/7,200rpm as BTO.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-40nm-mobile-gpus-line-up-for-2009/6378.html?doc=6378

9600M GT is 65nm right? Nvidia's moving to 55nm, but they have a push to 40nm - could this H2 move to 40nm for the 9600M GT's replacement be earlier than expected?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11227&Itemid=34

Tomshardware has Nvidia having already taped out "and ready for launch".

If possible, wouldn't it make sense for Nvidia to have focused on getting the 9600M GT replacement out to 40nm asap?

Negatives on this is theinquirer's take on things - that the GT212 is already DOA, and the roadmap pushed to Q3 if not further. But Q3's July-September - I'd imagine Apple would have 1st pick for a 55/(40)nm MacBook lineup (especially due to the gulf currently in H2 2009 between bumped Penryns, high TDP Clarksfields and 2010 Arrandales). Would it be DX11 capable?

"So don't look for Nvidia to be competitive during 2009. It couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. µ"

If Apple is, as Jen-Hsun from Nvidia says, a massive Ion purchaser -
    Seeing as JH sees an Ion product as anything that encompasses any Geforce integrated GPU - then maybe this explains a few things.

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

The problem with NVIDIA is they keep renaming, renumbering and repackaging the same old stuff over and over again. The fact that ATI is getting 40nm graphics cards both mobile and desktop out already may provide a jumpstart in the competition.

11. fokket macrumors regular