Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
I been having trouble with proximity sensor, so I reset my iPhone setting. It seem to get a little better. Then I notice that every time I closed my phone, when I went to open it it would ask me for my passcode, so ok I went under setting to change this, when I notice that the only option I could choose from was to have the passcode lock come on "immediately", no other option came up. I called Apple, and of course they could not help me, because this is a "new occurrence", and all I could do was restore and set up as a new phone, or wait for the new update "that will be out soon" :rolleyes:. I think I will wait for the update, it's not that bad, yet having to unlock my phone everytime it locks, I'll see how long I can last.

Wegee

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Use iphone configuration utility

I been having trouble with proximity sensor, so I reset my iPhone setting. It seem to get a little better. Then I notice that every time I closed my phone, when I went to open it it would ask me for my passcode, so ok I went under setting to change this, when I notice that the only option I could choose from was to have the passcode lock come on "immediately", no other option came up.

Exactly the same for me: this thing happens only after a "Reset all settings" from the phone.
The only way to solve this issue is using the Iphone Configuration Utility, and setup a profile with Passcode settings you want. It takes 2 minutes, if you need some help ask me.

Wegee

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Ok, first download and install Iphone Configuration Utility from apple http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

Then create a profile under Configuration Profiles -> General, and put a name for the Profile, the Identifier (something like fixpasscode.profile or what you want) etc.

Then go to the Passcode tab take a look at the image call step_1.jpg in attach (mine is in italian but it's easy to understand with the english version).
Important note: set 5min for auto-lock and 4hours for period lock, because otherwise your other values will be grayed out (i.e. if you set auto-lock in 1 min you will not be able to use 5 min etc). Once in the iphone you can reset to whatever value you want (as iphone is supposed to do).

Another note: the cool thing about this is that you can setup the maxmimun number of failed attemps < 10 (i.e. mine is 5), that's actually impossible using the iphone's settings.

After that (see attach step_2,jpg) go on your iPhone in Devices menu, Configuration profiles tab and click Install and you're done.

I'm sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes, feel free to correct me: english isn't my native language.

Attachments

• step_1.jpg
    step_1.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 312
  • step_2.jpg
    step_2.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 246

Renfred93

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Ok, first download and install Iphone Configuration Utility from apple http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/enterprise/

After that (see attach step_2,jpg) go on your iPhone in Devices menu, Configuration profiles tab and click Install and you're done.

I'm sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes, feel free to correct me: english isn't my native language.

Thanks! helped for me. Great English by the way, couldn't tell.

chaos-realm

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
SE London

Then create a profile under Configuration Profiles -> General, and put a name for the Profile, the Identifier (something like fixpasscode.profile or what you want) etc.
wegee thanks very much iam an iphone noob so i did'nt have a clue what i was doing till i read this cheers mate :cool::cool::cool:

Wegee

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Update

Just a little update: this workaround seems working even if removing the profile from the iPhone :)

frogracer

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010

This worked like a charm. Thanks for the fix. Did not want to restore as new and lose all my application layouts.

neogeo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010

Then go to the Passcode tab take a look at the image call step_1.jpg in attach (mine is in italian but it's easy to understand with the english version).
Important note: set 5min for auto-lock and 4hours for period lock, because otherwise your other values will be grayed out (i.e. if you set auto-lock in 1 min you will not be able to use 5 min etc). Once in the iphone you can reset to whatever value you want (as iphone is supposed to do).

Another note: the cool thing about this is that you can setup the maxmimun number of failed attemps < 10 (i.e. mine is 5), that's actually impossible using the iphone's settings.

Thanks. It works perfectly!

oscar99

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
Just a little update: this workaround seems working even if removing the profile from the iPhone :)
I tried as indicated but when I get to install profile, I get a message saying 'profile installation failed" ????

GH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.