Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
my Iphone 4.. I took off the IS I had on there cuz of how many scratches/dents it had already gotten. The screen feels/looks SOOO much better.. (though I didn't mind the IS's feel)

Do you think I'm safe if I'm careful with it?

Should I get a case or just use bumpers and skins on the back?

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I work for the company who made the glass for the 3GS.

You're not crazy - you don't need any of these silly screen protectors. You can take your keys or any metal to the screen and it won't scratch. the only possibility to scratch the phone is if you wear diamond rings, put a watch with a hard crystal face into your pocket with the phone, or somehow get sand that happens to have some hard grains in it in your pocket. Even if you drop it, apple seems to have chosen a good kind of glass for this phone that won't shatter like most glass types. Enjoy your beautiful new phone.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010

You're not crazy - you don't need any of these silly screen protectors. You can take your keys or any metal to the screen and it won't scratch. the only possibility to scratch the phone is if you wear diamond rings, put a watch with a hard crystal face into your pocket with the phone, or somehow get sand that happens to have some hard grains in it in your pocket. Even if you drop it, apple seems to have chosen a good kind of glass for this phone that won't shatter like most glass types. Enjoy your beautiful new phone.

Thanks

are you talking hard deep scratches or small hairline scratches too?
The iphone at AT&T is beat to crap already

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

then how do you explain the noticeable gouge (and the scratches that go along with it) in the back of my phone, a phone that was never even set on a hard surface, always either in my pocket by itself, in my hand, or laying on a soft cloth?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The glass won't scratch easily, people have proved that more than a few times. However, the oleophobic coating on the glass, no matter how careful you are, will scratch, and those scratches will show under particular light. I don't know where PCWorld is with their "stress/torture" test video for the iPhone 4, they've did it for previous iPhone's and the iPad. Those always give me some confidence in the glass.

By the way, I've noticed the same thing at AT&T stores, which made me lose some of my confidence in the glass this time until I see a video proving that a key won't scratch the glass on the iPhone 4.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I have had my iP4 since launch with no protection on it what so ever and nary a scratch.:)

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA

I would also beware of sand, like at the beach. I had my iPhone 4 at the beach this past Monday to listen to music and even though I was very careful to keep it sand-free, I ended up with a very very very minor hair line scratch. I'm talking barely perceptible unless you angle the screen just right in direct sunlight, but it did happen. Makes sense since most sand is just glass, and pretty hard.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
all i can say is my wife had her i4 nude for about a week or so and she now has fine hairline scratches all over the front of the glass and a small nick. all she did was put it in her purse.

i feel like a broken record but:

co-worker dropped his i4 and it had a bumper on in the parking lot. chipped glass, pitted the glass.

friend dropped his i4 and it had a bumper on in the drive way. chipped glass and hairline scratches

cousin dropped his i4 and it had a bumper on in a death trap (gravel path) while biking. chipped glass.

mine has a full body IS since it came out of the box and wears a candyshell. I dropped it last night while getting out of my Raptor truck and it went down the driveway. thank god i had the protection!

i have another co-worker who could care less and its nude. he told me he dropped it 2 times already and go figure not a single nick on it :p but he does have a few hairline scratches that he swore he "can't see".

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Nah

Too many stories already. 3GS never put anything on glass, sold it pristine. Too many reports and a Best Skins Ever is now on and offers no downside.

Excellent product. :cool:

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
If you don't mind getting hairline scratches (at the least) and you will get them, but they're not a big deal, then leave it bare. If you do, I'd get the powersupport crystal when it comes out, its not rubbery/tacky like the IS and almost unnoticeable.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
then how do you explain the noticeable gouge (and the scratches that go along with it) in the back of my phone, a phone that was never even set on a hard surface, always either in my pocket by itself, in my hand, or laying on a soft cloth?

Are you seriously positing that you got a hard scratch while carrying your phone in your pocket, hand, or from a cloth? I don't even think a piece of candy would be scratched from that....

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I have had my 3Gs 9 months and it’s in and out my pocket, i have dropped it a few times, it’s still like new.

I think i read an article that said Steve Jobs stopped the sale of screen protectors for the Iphone in Apple shops because it sent out the wrong message to consumers?

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
all i can say is my wife had her i4 nude for about a week or so and she now has fine hairline scratches all over the front of the glass and a small nick. all she did was put it in her purse.

i feel like a broken record but:

co-worker dropped his i4 and it had a bumper on in the parking lot. chipped glass, pitted the glass.

friend dropped his i4 and it had a bumper on in the drive way. chipped glass and hairline scratches

cousin dropped his i4 and it had a bumper on in a death trap (gravel path) while biking. chipped glass.

mine has a full body IS since it came out of the box and wears a candyshell. I dropped it last night while getting out of my Raptor truck and it went down the driveway. thank god i had the protection!

i have another co-worker who could care less and its nude. he told me he dropped it 2 times already and go figure not a single nick on it :p but he does have a few hairline scratches that he swore he "can't see".

Holy crap! A community of butter fingers lol :D

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
…I think i read an article that said Steve Jobs stopped the sale of screen protectors for the Iphone in Apple shops because it sent out the wrong message to consumers?
That was the reasoning that many articles gave, but Jobs didn’t say anything publicly and neither did Apple.

The whole slew of stories began at iLounge.com, which talked to a manufacturer that claimed this, and all the other coverage came from this. Although iLounge promised further updates, none were forthcoming.

Apple continues to sell screen protectors and life has gone on.

labrat1996

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Lenexa, Kansas
No you are not crazy. I never used a screen protector on my original iphone and it doesn't have a single scratch or dead pixel. I am not a fan of screen protectors either. I AM a big fan of using a case and just being careful. So far so good with the new phone.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I was against screen protectors until my iPhone 3G scratched... after two years of use.

It received a big, noticeable scratch ONE week before i got my 4.

Now I'm scared I'll scratch my 4 so I'm getting a screen protector.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
No screen protectors here. I've never used them, and my screen looks as good as the day I opened the box.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Screen protectors are pretty cheap insurance against scratches if you're slightly OCD about them like most people are. I never used screen protectors for my old 3G, but then one day I dropped it and it received about three scratches on the screen. Couldn't live with it and had to sell it. I've learned my lesson. Even a cheap $0.99 one from ebay could've prevented that from happening.

I wouldn't call you crazy for not wanting one. Delusionally optimistic, maybe. ;)

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Screen protectors are pretty cheap insurance against scratches if you're slightly OCD about them like most people are. I never used screen protectors for my old 3G, but then one day I dropped it and it received about three scratches on the screen. Couldn't live with it and had to sell it. I've learned my lesson. Even a cheap $0.99 one from ebay could've prevented that from happening.

I wouldn't call you crazy for not wanting one. Delusionally optimistic, maybe. ;)

You sold your phone because of three scratches? Wow. Slightly OCD is right. ;)

bkw

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Just got my first scratch on the front screen this morning on my 4. It was in the chest pocket of my suit with the bumper installed next to my work ID. Have no idea what it rubbed against, but there is a nice scratch near the home button, and thankfully not on the display itself.

First time this has happened to any of the iphones (i've had them all) or iPad, and I was being ultra careful too.

Oh well, I was pissed before, but I'm over it. It's a tool, an appliance. It's meant to be handled.

I'll be ordering a screen protector for this one soon.

Troon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
That was the reasoning that many articles gave, but Jobs didn’t say anything publicly and neither did Apple.

The whole slew of stories began at iLounge.com, which talked to a manufacturer that claimed this, and all the other coverage came from this. Although iLounge promised further updates, none were forthcoming.

Apple continues to sell screen protectors and life has gone on.

AHH ok thanks................ :cool:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You don't need screen protector. If you put one on you screen will look like crap, might as well not have retina display and go back to 1st gen iphone. People that scratch the screen are idiots who don't know how to take care of gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.