Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
I initially noticed the terrible white balance issues in my iP4 (32GB) when I first tried to take photos inside my house at night (with no external sunlight entering). It raised a red flag, but I noticed my mom's iP4 (16GB) had the same problem, so I assumed it was an issue across the board. Video is the same...extremely yellow.

Aside from the white balance issues, my phone has been perfect (or at least "up to my expectations" - because I know perfect is so subjective on here). :rolleyes:

I've since seen various posts on white balance issues that are fixed with replacement phones. For those of you that have experienced white balance problems, were your issues fixed with a replacement phone? Is the white balance much improved or only moderately improved on the replacement? Is it possible that a fix for white balance may come via a software update?

Samples of photos taken at my house and at my parents' house below.

Attachments

• Gracie2.JPG
    Gracie2.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Ollie2.JPG
    Ollie2.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 81

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
For reference, the striped pillow to the left of the grey cat is white/brown stripes, so you can see how yellow it is (this was taken at my house). To the right of the cat in the tabby cat photo, you can see the rear end of their little white dog (or yellow dog in this case) -- this was from my parents' house.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Are these with the flash?

I've found the camera's colors to be fantastic without the flash and terrible with the flash.

The only exception is that the flash works fine in a totally dark room. But if there's any light there to begin with it just screws everything up. I haven't been using the flash much.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
Are these with the flash?

I've found the camera's colors to be fantastic without the flash and terrible with the flash.

The only exception is that the flash works fine in a totally dark room. But if there's any light there to begin with it just screws everything up. I haven't been using the flash much.

Nope, these are all without the flash. I find with flash that white balance is improved...with flash at night, this is what I get....super yellow!

I hate using flash in most situations (even with my DSLR), so I refrain from using it unless absolutely necessary. I'll add a photo with flash shortly.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Nope, these are all without the flash. I find with flash that white balance is improved...with flash at night, this is what I get....super yellow!

I hate using flash in most situations (even with my DSLR), so I refrain from using it unless absolutely necessary. I'll add a photo with flash shortly.

I got my replacement yesterday and here is the end result. Taken at night with only a small desk lamp in the room with the flash.

photo-1.jpg

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
Here is a sample with flash in my parents' house...same tabby cat as posted above...

Attachments

• olliewithflash2.jpg
    olliewithflash2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 60

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here is a sample with flash in my parents' house...same tabby cat as posted above...

Yeah, I'm not saying your first ones are great, but clearly the flash made it even worse. They really need to fix the software. Hopefully 4.0.1 will bring improvements to the camera.

I got my replacement yesterday and here is the end result. Taken at night with only a small desk lamp in the room with the flash.

That's been my experience. When it's dark it works great. If it's not dark you get weird-looking cats like the post right below yours.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
For reference, the striped pillow to the left of the grey cat is white/brown stripes, so you can see how yellow it is (this was taken at my house). To the right of the cat in the tabby cat photo, you can see the rear end of their little white dog (or yellow dog in this case) -- this was from my parents' house.

noone should need that reference. your pics look like they're shot from inside a urine factory ;)

i'd try having it replaced
don't forget to check the camera of the replacement the moment you get it

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
Off-topic, but you should be using your flash pretty much anytime you've got lots of sunlight. It sounds like you're holding back.

I beg to differ. Fill flash is fine when you have excessive amounts of light causing harsh shadows, but I never do shoots during this time of day, anyway. All of my photoshoots are set for early morning hours (right after sunrise) or the golden hour (right before sunset). I do a lot of wildlife photography, as well, and I never use flash in those situations.

Fill flash has its place in portrait photography, but flash can also ruin a good photo. Too many individuals use their DSLR pop-up flash and end up with horrific pin lights. My speedlight allows for fill flash or bouncing off of ceilings, walls, etc, when I don't have adequate ambient light...but I refrain from using it when I can.

The tiny LED flash on the iPhone should always be a last resort. Most photos will come out much better without the use of the LED flash. It just isn't an ideal flash mechanism.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, I'm not saying your first ones are great, but clearly the flash made it even worse. They really need to fix the software. Hopefully 4.0.1 will bring improvements to the camera.

That's been my experience. When it's dark it works great. If it's not dark you get weird-looking cats like the post right below yours.

Hmmmm I have tried taking pics in multiple settings and they all come out great. The only trouble I have and this has been talked about is the blueish tint under office lights.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I beg to differ. Fill flash is fine when you have excessive amounts of light causing harsh shadows, but I never do shoots during this time of day, anyway.

Well, if you're setting up your shots then that's different.

I'm required to take photos when things happen, not when I plan them, so it's a totally different approach.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
I am wondering if it has to do with the use of specific bulbs in my house. I use CFL bulbs, and I believe my parents do also. I know they have a tendency to throw off white balance in any camera. Wondering if I should try in a different area without CFL bulbs.

For those of you that have seen uber-yellow white balance...are you using CFL bulbs, or is it noticeable under any lighting circumstance?

My photos indoors with sunlight shining through or outdoors are just fine.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Hmmmm I have tried taking pics in multiple settings and they all come out great. The only trouble I have and this has been talked about is the blueish tint under office lights.

Is it a blue tint, or a spot. My office lights create a green discoloration as a circle in the middle of the screen. At home the cfl does it too, bit add in the yellow color across the whole screen.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'm not sure why people are returning phones for this. White balance is a software issue.

That said, I mostly use Hipstamatic so it really doesn't bother me. :/

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Is it a blue tint, or a spot. My office lights create a green discoloration as a circle in the middle of the screen. At home the cfl does it too, bit add in the yellow color across the whole screen.

It's a circular spot right in the middle. And from everything I have found that is perfectly normal given the camera and lighting.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I'm not sure why people are returning phones for this. White balance is a software issue.

I imagine people are returning them because they don't want to have to do the extra steps to alter and edit the pictures to the white balance. And why should they when there are iPhones not having the problem and there's no garuntee that apple will issue a software fix.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010

Why aren't you sure? As I have stated I had problems with my first phone and the replacement works great. Plus I have no more dead pixels. I paid good money for something that works. And apple happily helped me acheive that by replacing my phone. :cool:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And why should they when there are iPhones not having the problem and there's no garuntee that apple will issue a software fix.

I have seen ZERO evidence that any iPhone is different from any other in regards to this issue.

I've seen lots of evidence that the camera performs better in some lighting conditions than other conditions. So sure, there are a wide range of examples being posted online. There's nothing to suggest that another iPhone would be different in that situation, however.

So I basically think anyone returning the phone over this will just get the exact same thing back. A waste of time.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I have seen ZERO evidence that any iPhone is different from any other in regards to this issue.

I've seen lots of evidence that the camera performs better in some lighting conditions than other conditions. So sure, there are a wide range of examples being posted online. There's nothing to suggest that another iPhone would be different in that situation, however.

So I basically think anyone returning the phone over this will just get the exact same thing back. A waste of time.

You should read the whole post, in this post and others, people have taken te same photo from two iPhone 4s and one has it one doesn't as well as those that have returned have gotten phones that do not have te yellow issue. That is the definition of proof that not all phones have the severe yellowing issue.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Why aren't you sure? As I have stated I had problems with my first phone and the replacement works great. Plus I have no more dead pixels. I paid good money for something that works. And apple happily helped me acheive that by replacing my phone. :cool:

Because sensors are sensors. White balance is entirely the software looking at the raw data and determining which pixels are 'supposed' to be white, then adjusting the levels from there. Unless every photo you take in every condition is clown-yellow, then it's not the sensor. Just because some devices are affected and others aren't doesn't mean that it's not something that originates in the software.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US

This is kind of what I'm thinking and why I'm hesitant to return a phone that has no other issues with it. I'm hoping Apple may issue an update that fixes this. If not, I don't know what I'll do...maybe wait a while until all the kinks are worked out.

If someone has had a phone producing yellow photos indoors under CFL lighting that has improved after a replacement, I'd be interested in hearing from you...and seeing before/after shots.

thehopscotch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
US
As can be seen here, I have no issues under the CFL bulbs when I have a nice mixture of sunshine coming through the windows too. Issue appears only when CFL bulbs are the primary light source. This was taken in the same room of my house as the initial grey cat photo.

Attachments

• cami-day.jpg
    cami-day.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 58

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
LOL! I guess no one is listening. I know there was another poster that had the same issue as me and it was corrected by getting a replacement. Now I'm not saying a replacement will not be just as jacked as your first phone. All I'm saying is it's worth a shot.

Also when the Genius looked at my first phone he agreed that it was most certainly hardware related and replaced mine without question. And it works perfectly.

So in my case a replacement DID in fact cure my problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.