Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Escher2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
If you are a member over at AudioKarma then this will be a repost - sorry... but I'm stumped:

Just FYI - Here is my signal chain:

MacPro (2008) --optical --> DEQ2496 --coax--> DAC--analog--> Carver C1 --> Carver TFM25 --> MGII

So - when I play flac files, in any application... and I switch from 44.1K to 96K in audio/midi setup, its like someone *cranked* the treble knob... Its a lot brighter at 96K.

Source files have been 44.1 and 48K.. so the Mac is upsampling to 96k..

My DAC is a 24/192 diy kit I got of the 'bay a few years ago its got decent specs for the D/A (PCM1798)...

ideas?

I'm running 10.9...

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
As silly as this may sound, what makes you think the mac is up sampling to 96KHz? Just because the output has altered to that setting I would be more inclined to think it is outputting in the original format with a lot of headroom or doing something screwy and actually shifting frequencies.

Up sampling is a specific function and in terms of hardware I doubt any mac supports it natively. As such you would be best off sticking to the native format and looking at sampling and converting in a single device. I don't know the specs for the audio boards in your mac but I suspect it is digital out only without conversion. Maybe software solutions exist.

As for why it sounds brighter I know not but it would indicate that something is amiss.

Escher2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
very interesting... I hadnt thought of that.

It is just the factory Mac Pro Digital output that I'm using...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.