$97 DIY Gold Plating Kit on Kickstarter?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BeyondtheTech, May 25, 2015.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I did a search and didn't see that anyone posted on this, so here it is.

Someone has come up with a kit as low at $97 to gold-plate your WATCH. The kit allows you to do it in the comfort of your own home, and re-plate it if it wears down over time. It can be removed with an abrasive polish in the event it needs to be brought in for warranty servicing or just undone. Already passed it minimum funding goal, it should be available to users as early as August 2015 (the July release for the earliest backers is already gone).

ezgif-4164302139.gif

9815c975fe8b36490b2ed195eae549c5_original.jpg

5a98e04088f29456703bbce4a790b240_original.jpg

Check out the Kickstarter campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...r-steel-apple-watch-with-24k-gold/description
    (I'm not affiliated with the campaign or the project owner.)

2. SonRK macrumors 6502

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They should make one with a mirror finish like the SS watch. I bet that would sell more than the gold.

4. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

So much for a search on "$97" and "kickstarter" yielded a lot of unwanted results.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

This looks cool but I'm too clumsy to do it myself. I'd rather pay 399/499 and get it done.

6. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I think this is very cool and the price is incredibly reasonable. Watched the process video and I think someone with the right mindset and patience can easily pull it off.

I just backed this campaign myself and can't wait. I love the look and think with either a black or white sport band (with gold pin too obv) looks mighty sexy. :cool:

Certain to be a conversation starter too no doubt!

7. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

If I had the patience I would do this...but no way in hell could I do all of that just to put a gold plating on

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

This is pretty much what the other gold plater looks like he is doing. All the user pics looked cheap and brushed on. Almost like what you get when you color something metallic with a highlighter.

But this DIY kit looks like it is putting out better results. At least from those pics. We would have to see with real world user pics.

9. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Yeah i am very impressed with the results of what the project creator has shown. Ill be sure to check back and post pics of my own process, but it will be A while (august is when im set to receive my kit).

I certainly hope the results don't very too wildly if instructions are followed well. Im also very curious as to the overall durability. I expect the plating to wear down, but how quickly?

What i really like about this is if it doesnt work well the kit costs me $100.....maybe a void warranty on an Apple watch. Not the end of the world. Seems worth it to me if it comes out well though!

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Does their process involve a cyanide based solution? I didn't see anything on their website.

Still not sure why anyone would want to do this. It's going to be temporary and need constant re-plating to stay a uniform color.