Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Apple is delaying the white iphone for antenna reason?

• Yes, they are working on a hardware fix

Votes: 79 30.9%
  • No, it is a colouring issue

Votes: 177 69.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
I'm leaning towards a coloring issue but who knows. Sure would be nice though if Apple is trying to take care of the antenna problem, i doubt it though.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
The only problem with that article is that it lacks common sense. As soon as white iPhone 4s start shipping tech sites will starting taking them apart. And if there is an obvious fix inside the white iPhone Apple is gonna have a huuuuuge PR disaster on their hands that will make what has happened so far look like nothing.

jumplittlechloe

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Who Cares

Apple better take their time and get it right because my black iPhone 4 does not take kindly to white crackers.

livingonvideo13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Yet you both clicked and read the thread and took time to post a statement....

I actually cared about the post and the poll and wanted to vote.

I never said "I couldn't care less" about reading a thread about a poll talking about the "Apple iPhone White Lie"

So your statement is not valid.

Actually I do care that people know that I couldn't care less.

Thus for the reason of me taking the time to explain it to you.

Oversoul

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
The only problem with that article is that it lacks common sense. As soon as white iPhone 4s start shipping tech sites will starting taking them apart. And if there is an obvious fix inside the white iPhone Apple is gonna have a huuuuuge PR disaster on their hands that will make what has happened so far look like nothing.

Exactly.

Let's ignore for a moment that Apple has likely already manufactured white iPhones, perhaps in the hundreds of thousands, that they'll either have to (1) recall to the factory floor to retroactively implement the fix, or (2) send out to the public with no fix while later models have the fix.

Imagine the outcry from just within the old white/new white users. Not to mention all the millions of people who already bought the black iPhone 4 without a fix and were told to just cover the phone with a case.

Apple has stated that their antenna design is NOT A PROBLEM. They're not going to fix it. Not in this model at least. Apple's position is that every phone, the iPhone 4 included, will drop signal if held in a way that disrupts the antenna. Whether you or I think this is a problem doesn't matter, because it's a problem inherent to the technology. If it's a problem for you, cover it up with a case that Apple provides for free.

Or don't buy an iPhone 4 and wait for the 5.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
They wouldn't have white model with different antenna characteristics as compared to the black model. That would be an admission of fault on their part.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
The worst part is, i guarantee they knew it was going to be delayed when they had the press conference last week and said at the end of July still. Bastards.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I'm no paint expert or scientist, but how long do they need to decide what kind of white will work under the glass? They are delaying maybe 1-2 million iPhone sales because of color? I don't buy it. They are making a silent fix for the antenna. And my guess is the white iPhone comes out on September 30, when the period for the free case ends.

Oversoul

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
I'm no paint expert or scientist, but how long do they need to decide what kind of white will work under the glass? They are delaying maybe 1-2 million iPhone sales because of color? I don't buy it. They are making a silent fix for the antenna. And my guess is the white iPhone comes out on September 30, when the period for the free case ends.

I'm no paint expert or scientist either, but you don't recall the white iPhone 3GS discoloration issue? Granted, it was a plastic back and we're talking about glass here. But can you imagine the complaints from OCD Apple fanboys if their shiny new white iPhone 4 were to suddenly discolor, or had imperfect paint application?

Yeah, I think holding back on the white iPhone might be a smart move if there's a possibility of another PR mess. Besides, how many of your 1-2 millions sales will just shut up and buy black?

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Are 33% of the people on these boards that crazy? Or just crybabies about not getting their phone so picking the happier answer.

Do you realize the sh*tstorm that would surround the company if they released a fixed iPhone 4 while still selling a not fixed black phone? There would be tremendous pressure on the company to provide additional remedies to the owners of black models.

The fact that they were delayed at the outset, suggests there is a continuing manufacturing or material sourcing issue. That does not mean that Apple may just have decided its not worth releasing a white model at all and is just pushing it back at this point to the point where it may just run into the next model's cycle.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Do you realize the sh*tstorm that would surround the company if they released a fixed iPhone 4 while still selling a not fixed black phone? There would be tremendous pressure on the company to provide additional remedies to the owners of black models.

The fact that they were delayed at the outset, suggests there is a continuing manufacturing or material sourcing issue. That does not mean that Apple may just have decided its not worth releasing a white model at all and is just pushing it back at this point to the point where it may just run into the next model's cycle.

Agreed. I think they are just having problems getting the right materials together.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
A fix would require another FCC approval and those are made public. So no.

Also - I just checked. Accepting the bumper from Apple does not excuse anyone from filing a lawsuit because they received one. That means that if Apple were to "sneak" in a fix - they'd be looking at WELL over 3 Million iPhone customers who would be keeping their legal team and the press busy for a long long time.

In short. No. There's going to be no secret fix nor is the white iPhone only going to have the fix. Those that think otherwise are like the kid rummaging around horse poop looking for the pony.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
You forgot to have a 3rd option. "I could care less"
caring.png

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX

not a very logical theory, but one based in fantasy...APPLE HAS NOT ADMITTED THAT THERE IS A DESIGN FLAW....and REDESIGNING the white iPhone would be an admission that there was a design flaw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.