Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
I think I read something somewhere about this but I can't remember. My macbook pro is new and only has like 8 cycles on the battery... I've barely used it but how come a full charge isn't 100%..instead it's 98%? Is there something wrong with my battery already?

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
I think I read something somewhere about this but I can't remember. My macbook pro is new and only has like 8 cycles on the battery... I've barely used it but how come a full charge isn't 100%..instead it's 98%? Is there something wrong with my battery already?

run your battery down to zero, then recharge. sometimes you need to do this periodically in order to get back to 100%.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Don't worry about anything between about 95% and 100%. To save battery life, the laptop won't begin to charge until it falls below some threshold value in the mid-90s. I'm not sure what threshold exactly.

marine610610

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
Mine normally stays at 100 percent until i shut it down and start it back up later. Then it trickles down a percent or two until it gets to 95. Usually when it starts getting close to that i just switch it to battery power and run it all the way down. Then i let it sit for a couple hours if i have time before charging it back up.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
it doesnt charge if battery power is >95% to prevent it from constantly charging the battery which would kill its ability to hold charge much faster.

zblaxberg

Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
ok sounds good thanks everyone...just wanted to make sure because its my first mac and its my first laptop so if anything needed to be fixed i'd like to take care of it now rather then when I go off to college in a few months

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
drain it past 95% unplugged, plug it back in and then it'll go back to 100.

It'll receive a trickle charge after it reaches 100% and it will slowly drop over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.