98% of my E-mail got deleted by itself..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TSX, Feb 24, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Today i noticed when checking my mail that i was missing almost all my old E-mails. It kept all my emails from the past 2 weeks exactly? Is there a setting that would cause my email to be deleted?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Is this in Apple's Mail app? First thing I'd do is to check any rules you might have created.

3. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I haven't created any rules in my mac's email, all Ive done is set my email up normally. Ive even check my email in the web and it's gone there too. Im guessing it some how got deleted threw my mac's email app.

4. pitt1717 macrumors regular

are you sure? i have found a similar issue and needed to (still do at times) rebuild the folders

top bar -> mailboc -> rebuild (but i think a folder needs to be selected)

5. Punker macrumors member

Yeah, same happened to me and this fixed it.

Also, on another occasion, i ran AppDelete.app i did a search for orphan (spelling?!) files and i left everything checked and then clicked delete...major mistake. Many of my emails got deleted but they would still appear in mail.app, i just couldnt see the content of those emails anymore, they were blank but i could see the subjects.

I went in my recycle bin, found a folder created by appDelete and restored it. I rebuilt the mailboxes and voila, they were back

Hope it helps someone in the future...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are these emails from an pop mail box or imap? Perhaps there's a setting for pop emails to clean them up after 2 weeks. Also depending on who's your isp/email provider make sure there's no rules set on their side.

FWIW, I've never lost any emails or had email.app delete any of my emails by itself,so I highly doubt its the app, but some configuration either on the app or the server.