98% This is a Scam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheOnlyJon, Nov 30, 2009.

1. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

EDIT: See post #15 for pictures.

So I was perusing the Facebook Marketplace when something caught my eye:

A 15" Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM for $500.

The girl claims it was purchased in July '09 and is selling it to fund an iMac.

Now. The price is an immediate red flag for me. Why in the HELL would someone sell it for this price? Are they just that dense or are they just like every other scammer? I've been in conversation with them today. Let me know what you think. The last message is what kind of tips me off, I think. The following conversation is after I posted a comment on the listing saying that I would take it. This was a few days ago. I've exchanged these messages this morning.

--------

Seller:

Jon,
    You can reach me at ***-***-*** ask for (*name*) and can i get your address were the laptop would be delivered and what is your mode of payment?Hoping to hear from you today.

Me:

I would likely use Paypal for payment...you can check my track record on Ebay (*my Ebay name*) so you know that I'm not going to scam you. Believe me, it's been done to me before and I know the feeling.

How much are you willing to sell it for? It's been a few weeks since I replied and I'm now only able to offer about $400.00. I can throw in a *little* extra for shipping costs, but unfortunately I spent a little this past Black Friday.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
    Jon

Seller:

Hi Jon
    The price is $500 you can check out the link: (*link to listing*)

I can take 400+25 (shipping cost).
    This is my paypal: (*their paypal address*)
    As soon as i confirm your payment,I will ship the laptop then give you tracking number for shipment.

Me:

I am definitely willing to do it for $400 + $25 shipping. I guess I am still a little skeptical about the price...how can you assure me that this isn't a scam? I hate to assume that it is, but you can never be too careful these days. Can you guarantee me that you own the laptop and will be shipping it when I pay? Could you provide a picture of you with the laptop or something similar so I know you have it? I saw the pictures from the listing, but I've seen cases before where people pull images from Google and use those.

Like I said, please don't think I'm accusing you - I just want to be absolutely sure.

Thanks,
    Jon

Seller:

Jon,
    I hate embarrasement,I want to get rid of it because i have overdraft in my bank,I can assure you that i will ship the laptop as soon as i confirm your payment and concerning the picture you request,i can't do that because i don't appreciate someone wasting my time.

--------

Now I guess what seems to be throwing me off is that the girl gave me contact information (a phone number) and what appeared to be a legitimate Paypal address.

Let's say I do go through with this. What kind of protection does Paypal offer for something like this and if it did end up being a scam, what are the chances that I get reimbursed?

As I said, I'm about 98% sure this isn't legit, but I figured I'd get your opinions.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I can offer escrow services for ya as safe as any other secure Nigerian order. :p

If they send me the computer, I'll also gladly take the money.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Right there is where I would stop doing business with him, regardless of legit or scam. Thats ridiculous.

4. TheOnlyJon thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

My thoughts exactly.

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Whoa

This guy is a moron. I encourage you to waste his time. Its a good bit of fun.

I dont remember the link, but I saw an article on this guy who scammed some nigerian scammers, HARD. When all was said and done, this guy had conned the scammers into paying for the shipment of some "Anis" brand computers for cheap, which ended up being like 200 pounds of broken laptops and other random broken electronics and junk. The scammers ended up paying hundreds to ship themselves crap, when they thought that THEY were the ones ripping someone off. It was awesome.

6. racers macrumors regular

reminded me of this Link :p

7. TheOnlyJon thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

I'll give the girl a call later today just for kicks.

@racers LOL YES. What a classic.

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Well now we can safely assume this is 98% scam, coming from a 100% jerkoff. :)

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Even if it wasn't a scam because this guy is desperate to sell for example, he is an idiot for not providing photos to ensure a sale.

Forget about it.

10. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

scam defo, if he needed the money that badly, he wouldnt moan about taking pictures,

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, though I can almost guarantee this is a scam.

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its too cheap as well, you'd never sell a 6 month old Mac for that much - you'd charge way more.

If its too good to be true, it probably is.

14. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Facebook has a Marketplace? :eek: That alone screams "stay away!" to me. :p

15. TheOnlyJon thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

I neglected to mention that she DID post photos on the original posting...which is what lent towards the 2% legitimacy. I wanted pictures of HER WITH the computer to prove that she didn't just leech the photos off of Google.

Attached Files:

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I wouldn't touch this "deal" with a 10-foot pole.

17. TheOnlyJon thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Hey I bought my WD My Book Premium Edition 1TB HD off of Facebook and it was brand-spankin' new for $75.00 - it's since been discontinued, but Amazon lists it for like $250+ :confused:

Haven't had any issues at all.

18. TheOnlyJon thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Okay 100% scam. Called the number "she" gave me and got strange ring tone on the phone. A man answered who sounded drunk. I could hardly understand him and never got an answer as to whether or not "Candace Reeves" was available.

Thanks guys! Although now that I think about it, I could have had some serious fun reversing it on him. That would have been fun :)