9800 Pro decided to die

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MattA, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Hello all,

I've got a Powermac G5 1.6 that I had upgraded from the FX-5200 to a 9800 Pro. Things were great for 3 years until one day, the video had lots of green lines and strange effects all through everything. I played with it for awhile, and finally swapped back to the FX-5200 which had been sitting in a drawer. Everything started working again perfectly.

The problem is, the FX-5200 is a horrible video card. 3D is almost non-existant, and Leopard runs like it's stuck in molasses whenever it has to do anything graphical. The visualizations with iTunes 8 even slow down. All of this ran great with my 9800 Pro.

Now, I'd really like to upgrade to a mac pro, but financially, it's just not feasible right now. I'd love to get another 9800 Pro, or even upgrade to an x800XT or a 6800. The problem is, everyone is really really proud of these cards, and they go for a huge amount of cash. Even the non-mac ones that can be flashed are going for rediculous amounts of money.

Mostly, I'd just like to get something that I can live with until I can afford to upgrade, but if I can't afford to get something I can live with, I'm kinda stuck :) Does anyone have a decent G5 video card laying around that they'd love to part with, and that they aren't going to ask an arm and a leg plus a firstborn child for?

2. Earl Urly macrumors regular

OWC has the 9600 for $180.. have you tried to take the G5 back to Apple to see how much they'd sell you a new 9800 for? It might be discounted since it's an old card.

3. Tracer macrumors 6502

Another alternative would be to buy a 9800 PC card and flash it to Mac.

Not an easy process, you'd need another computer.

Tracer

4. MattA thread starter macrumors 6502

MattA

I'd do that, except i need a card with dual DVI inputs, as I have two Cinema Displays. All of the PC versions I've seen have a DVI and a VGA port.

That's actually not a bad idea. I might see if they offer old cards for less money. The FX-5200 is killing me!