9800gx2 works in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cindori, May 9, 2008.

1. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Im pretty sure it has not been confirmed here but 9800gx2 works in mac pro OSX&Windows using the latest NVInject!

Osx recognizes both cores but I am unsure if it can use both. I will return with a Geekbench score later!

More info on NVinject here!

http://nvinject.free.fr/

2. Amethyst macrumors 6502

3. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

Not sure about that one. Might work if you change device ID

4. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'm quite surprised Apple hasn't used anything with HDMI outputs yet. You would think they would by now.

5. bigwig macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't use hardware video decoding, either. I don't think they really want to support HD video yet.

6. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

7. JollyRogers macrumors regular

I am pretty sure that nvinject will only work with a hackintosh and not with an actual Mac Pro. Can you refer me to the actual post or news on the nvinject website stating otherwise. I did a look around and could not find anything...

8. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I have a GeForce 9800 GX2. I have to remove it to boot OS X on my Mac Pro "2008."

I'd love to see it work under Mac OS X even if only with one core.

Both it and the Radeon HD 3870 X2 are awesome Windows gaming cards when I boot Windows 64.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

nvinject would work on a Mac Pro, but the card still needs UGA firmware on it. Because we are limited to pulling the firmware off a Mac card, and flashing it on similar cards, it does make it appear as if nvinject doesn't do anything. :)

I am skeptical, since this is the ONLY reference I have been able to find about the 9800 GX2 on a Mac, anywhere.

If this is true, the odds are that the card may actually be shipping from a couple manufacturers with UGA firmware. If that is the case, it is very good news for tweakers.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Don't quote me on this but unlike the 9800GX2 etc. the 9600GT is a single GPU so will likely work with some flashing etc. etc. or at least it will work under windows fine.

However its still slower (but cheaper) than the 8800GT according to this thread.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=439475

So basically, save your money and get the 8800GT.

11. cathul macrumors member

No, as the MacOSX drivers do not support the G94 chipset of the Geforce 9600GT yet.

12. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

My friend who did it, says he simply changed the device ID on a 8800GTS NVInject driver and it worked. It works both in boot camp and OSX.

"You asked if it works well in WoW. I dont play WoW at the moment, but all the games ive tested in OSX is working great.
    I got full support for the card (checked, both gpu's are working)

13. SuperGrobi macrumors member

... can you deliver any proof for this statement??? ;)

14. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

I see no reason for him to lie, and since NVINject does enable 8800GTS in OSX and a 9800gx2 is two 8800GTS there should be no problems. I could ask him for more details but there seems to be little interest here.

15. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

We are interested, but we can't possibly believe that this works.

16. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm very interested in this as well. However, I'd like to see a bit more proof before running out and purchasing a new video card. Thanks.

17. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I also appreciate every try to make a officially unsupported graphics card running in OS X, but it has to work well and cause no problems for the daily use, it must be perfectly recognized in windows (which motivation despite gaming would lead to buy such a card) and there should be at least more than 50% probability to get it flashed successfully...
    In fact it's one of the most expensive "non-workstation" graphics cards and not everyone likes risky and $$ experiments...

18. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I'm very interested, but as others have said - I would like proof it really does work before I run out and drop $500 on one.
    Alan

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No EFI, no Mac OS X.

This clearly must be a Hackintosh.

20. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

Now here is a good question... Why doesn't apple look into getting faster video cards so people can stop trying to hack there hardware. Don't get me wrong, I have an early 2008 mac pro quad with the 512 8800gt in it, and it burns anything I throw at it. Right now I'm on a World of Warcraft kick and I'm downloading the pre-register version of Age of Conan as we speak. I just don't understand why there isn't the ability to run SLI or get a card with gig of vram on it that is actually capable of being purchased by a normal consumer. I mean the only other card available, officially, for the mac pro is the 1 gig Nvidia whatever its called that cost a fortune. To be frank I would love to have that card for all the 3d rendering I do but at the same time I don't need to use stereo 3d glasses. How about a similar card with out the extra bells and whistles that the everyday user/gamer doesn't need.

Just a thought.

21. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

Oh... and by the way. You can't buy the 1Gig video card unless you buy it built to order. There is not upgrade kit for it.

22. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The reason there is no Scalable Link Interface for the Mac Pro is entirely NVIDIAs fault.

It is only supported on NVIDIA chipsets.

The Quadro FX5600 actually has 1.56GB ram.

What other card would you want available? Apple is about simplicity and not about supporting every bit of hardware released. They have a tight control of what is available for the machines.

In the end, it is up to the graphic card vendors to supply Apple with an EFI rom and drivers.

23. Cindori thread starter macrumors 68040

Cindori

No no, NVInject emulates EFI.

I have emailed the guy and waiting for more details.

24. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

NVinject doesn't emulate EFI, it tweaks drivers to recognize more card Id codes.

25. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

I never said that there wasn't any cards available. all I said was that it seems they always release something that is affordable in the built to order that is right around where everyone is trying to be... like the 512 mb video card. I'll say it again NOT THAT THE 8800GT IS A BAD SET UP. but it would be nice to have something available that is a little more top of the line or above standard available to the masses that doesn't have a price tag on it equivalent to a macbook.

By the way... I'm sure if apple wanted to they could get a partnered company to create one of these for their computers as well as open up dual card support... If they really wanted to.