Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
Since performing the jailbreak on my iP4 the multitasking seems to have stopped working.
Apps now close when I exit them, particularly noticeable with Skype.
Anyone else having this problem?

clrj14

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
no but i have a question, maybe you would know...I have iphone 3g and thinking about jailbreaking with comex's new jailbreak but does it enable multitasking and background wallpaper? :confused:

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
there is a download in cydia that looks like it will enable these options, failing that you could use backgrounder and winterboard....

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Noticing the same problem with Skype here. Other apps do seem to multitask correctly but for some reason Skype totally closes itself out.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I'm noticing the same problem, and not just with Skype. After process of elimination it seems to be a mobilesubstrate problem. Here's hoping to a fix from Saurik soon.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
backgrounding is fine. the issue is with skype. use the search feature

No backgrounding is not fine. Apps that have fast app switch capability now don't remember their state when you close them. It's not just Skype, it's all apps.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
No backgrounding is not fine. Apps that have fast app switch capability now don't remember their state when you close them. It's not just Skype, it's all apps.

It seems like if you go to 1 other app, it'll still remember their state but if you go into 3-4 other apps, then back to the original it'll forget. Before jail breaking, it seems it won't forget until it runs out of memory (practically never).

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Was just about to re-enter the jailbreak scene to test out the new exploit, but not if it's going to kill fast app switching.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Just tested it with a radio app, RoRadio, and it still plays the audio in the background.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Ah. Wonder if there will be a hack for Skype at some point.

No fix/hack as of yet to fix this that I know of. I suspect this affects more than Skype as well. Clearly some aspect of the task switching / multitasking has been inadvertently disabled by this jailbreak. With any luck, it will be easily patched.

TheRazz

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Everything still works for me in terms of multitasking besides Skype. Skype signs out every time I exit it, not sure why though.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Everything still works for me in terms of multitasking besides Skype. Skype signs out every time I exit it, not sure why though.

So far I am experiencing the same. Skype is the only app I use though that utilizes the VOIP multitasking API. I would hazard a guess that this will affect any other future app that makes use of this...

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
No fix/hack as of yet to fix this that I know of. I suspect this affects more than Skype as well. Clearly some aspect of the task switching / multitasking has been inadvertently disabled by this jailbreak. With any luck, it will be easily patched.

It's something the Skype people have done, not a bug.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I still seem to have this problem, both with the latest backgrounder installed and with it uninstalled. The vast majority of apps simply don't suspend to RAM, they all forget where I left them when I close them. Anyone still seeing this?

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
It's something the Skype people have done, not a bug.

hit home button while on a skype call on a jailbroken device.
That surely DOES look like a bug and not smething made on purpose by Skype.

Obviously, it's a "bug" that affects only jailbroken devices so as far as they are concerned, it's not a bug at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.