Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
Anyone else having this problem? I have a skin from bestskinsever (similar to Zagg) on my iPad, just to protect it from scratches and I also the Apple Case on it. I just took my iPad out to clean the edges cause lots of gunk was getting in there, and on the back of my iPad was blue imprints from the Apple Case! WTF!? Anyone else using the same/similar combo and getting the same result as me?

Attachments

• IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    940 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    854.2 KB · Views: 196

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Wouldnt that be caused by the case getting wet/damp? And I suppose that could happen in a myriad of ways from high humidity, rain, wet gym clothes...:confused:

I just checked mine & its ok but I havent been anywhere really ( Im on a medical leave ) but it sure scares the hell out of me!?

How long have you had it in that case?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
got the exact same thing! tried cleaning it but nothing gets it out.

Do you have an invisible shield type of protector on your iPad also? Could be some sort of reaction between the plastic protector and the iPad material caused by heat or moisture (humidity, etc).

I have the Apple case and haven’t had this issue. However, I take the iPad out of it fairly frequently. You would think Apple’s first-party accessories would be of better quality.

Although I just had to throw away the free Apple bumper because it scratched and scuffed the hell out of my iPhone 4’s bezel. Looked inside the bumper and realized it had little shards of hard plastic between the groves.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Do you have an invisible shield type of protector on your iPad also? Could be some sort of reaction between the plastic protector and the iPad material caused by heat or moisture (humidity, etc).

I have the Apple case and haven’t had this issue. However, I take the iPad out of it fairly frequently. You would think Apple’s first-party accessories would be of better quality.

Although I just had to throw away the free Apple bumper because it scratched and scuffed the hell out of my iPhone 4’s bezel. Looked inside the bumper and realized it had little shards of hard plastic between the groves.

It is a known issue with the skin and apple case..all the skins made out of that material do the same thing.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
******** Apple Case gave me the same thing, using a BSE as well here. :(

I also got sick of cleaning the iPad with the case on, which is a massive dust magnet.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
My case has never once gotten wet.

I think it has to be some mind of reaction between the skin and case. I can't get it to come out for the life of me. Tried alcohol and acetone. I'm gonna try some ammonia and maybe some vinegar see what that does. Yay chemistry...

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Pretty common issue. This image was taken about a month ago. Looks even worse now.

Its never been wet and humity isn't an issue here. Just a fact of life with the invisi skin and the case. None of friends with the case has this issue if they are running naked under it.

iPad.jpg

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Yep! I see the problem as well. No blue yet but I see a very faint square on the back of the iPad. It won't come out.

I've had this case on my iPad 3G since release day.

magiclaffs

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Not outside but inside

Anyone else having this problem? I have a skin from bestskinsever (similar to Zagg) on my iPad, just to protect it from scratches and I also the Apple Case on it. I just took my iPad out to clean the edges cause lots of gunk was getting in there, and on the back of my iPad was blue imprints from the Apple Case! WTF!? Anyone else using the same/similar combo and getting the same result as me?

I have the Zagg shield on the screen side...and noticed that the flap has caused the shield on that side to turn blue- and no...I've never gotten the pad wet.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,075
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,057

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Have had my iPad In the Apple Case for three months now. First time it ever took it out of the case was tonight to see if my iPad was turning blue as well... Well the verdict here is.... No blue staining so far....

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
My case has never once gotten wet.

I think it has to be some mind of reaction between the skin and case. I can't get it to come out for the life of me. Tried alcohol and acetone. I'm gonna try some ammonia and maybe some vinegar see what that does. Yay chemistry...
Don't do that...just make a genius appointment, and they should take care of you...don't put any liquids on your device

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Chip NoVaMac said:
Have had my iPad In the Apple Case for three months now. First time it ever took it out of the case was tonight to see if my iPad was turning blue as well... Well the verdict here is.... No blue staining so far....

Whew, you had me in real suspense for a second there...:eek:

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
As far as I can tell, it's only on the best skins, and hasn't gone all the way down to my actual iPad. And I doubt that making a genius appointment will help me very much since it's not on the actual device. Plus the nearest Apple Store is about an hour away.

And its a permanent stain. Nothing I'm doing is making the slightest difference. :mad:

Blinded

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2009
The exact same thing happened to mine as well. I have the Wrapsol original on the back and sides of my iPad, and it has staining in various spots on the back and sides. Very weird, and like you no amount of scrubbing or rubbing will get the stains to lift. They are definitely permanent. I lifted a section of the skin where it's stained and it hasn't gone through and affected the iPad at all. Luckily I have a second set of Wrapsol skins from a warranty issue laying around that I never got around to putting on. Once I put the new skins on though, no more case for me.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I used to have a skin on my Mac; I noticed that with use, the skin would turn blue by itself (without using other cases, etc.), so I don't think this has anything to do with the Apple case: the skins just react to the environment naturally.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I have my iPad in the Apple case 24/7. I just checked and I don't see any discoloration. Perhaps some cases were defective?

Blinded

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2009
I used to have a skin on my Mac; I noticed that with use, the skin would turn blue by itself (without using other cases, etc.), so I don't think this has anything to do with the Apple case: the skins just react to the environment naturally.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. In my experience, and mind you it's just my experience none of the skins I've ever used have discolored. I have Wrapsol skins on my MacBook Pro, two different iPhones, my iPad and one of my iPods. The markings on the back of the iPads pictured in this thread show that the stains are all in the same spot from the Apple case. I had put the case back on the iPad recently after not using it for a few months, had it on for roughly two weeks, then took it off and saw the stains. During the time of not using the case, I had the Wrapsol on the iPad and was using it heavily. No signs of staining before I put the case on. I could be wrong though, definitely wouldn't be the first time :D.

2zdvkev.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.