$99 + 8GB + iCloud + 4G LTE = killer formula?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TapHappy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. TapHappy macrumors regular

Add these ingredients and throw in your choice of Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon with iOS 5 on the side! This could be the the killer formula that puts Apple on top of the smart phone market for good!

2. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I'm not convinced of the 8 gig storage limit plus the tiered 4G data plans. I still have unlimited data but others done.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

*Disclaimer - Fails to account for tiered data plans.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

As much as I want to have it in the next iPhone(s), I don't think we'll be seeing LTE this year.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Its funny how some people are really sensitive to small price drops. Over the course of two years (contract term) you will spend around $2,000-$2,500 for the average (or unlimited on the high end) iPhone plan itself, so whether its $99 or $199 shouldn't make that much of a difference (its actually just 4% to 5% over the lifetime of your contract).

A $99 difference is basically two dinners and a movie night out -- yet spread over the course of two years. But some people will base the decision of what they use as their main communication device for 2 years based on this, and will choose an inferior product that makes their life harder over it.

People make no sense sometimes.

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

Hear hear!

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Or, ya know, people can use that $99 they saved and invest it. Or, do what I did and bought a case & paid for 6 months of data for my iPhone. The 3GS more than fit my needs - I didn't need an iPhone 4.

At the end of the day, you're saving money & if you're content with your purchase - why erroneously spend an additional $99?

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

That's not a bad philosophy for most things, but a phone is something you use everyday. $99 translates to 95 cents per week over two years. You'd rather save 95 cents per week than have the latest generation device?

I think for 95 cents per week I'd take:

- A better camera
    - Faster speed
    - More software updates down the road
    - Overall better experience

I also had a 3GS for 2 years until I got the iPhone 4 recently, and I think there are enough significant improvements with the iPhone 4 to justify 95 cents per week, especially since its a device I interact with daily, sometimes for several hours a day. But that's just me.

If it was something I used once a week or two, I'd totally agree. I bought a crappy toaster for ~$20 because I only make Eggo waffles in it a couple of times a week. I certainly don't do anything fancy with it, and my interactions are limited to a couple of minutes of toasting maybe twice a week.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree that the additional $99 will bring great value (as you bulleted). However, if the 3GS more than handles your needs - why spend more?

It's like asking people "Why get a $1,200 MacBook Pro? You might as well get the $2,000 MacBook Pro - you'll get a faster processor, GPU, bigger screen etc..." I know its hard comparing $99 to this example, but money is all relative.

Different strokes for different folks.