Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Does this attract dust particles? Lets say I put it in my pocket, will those little dust particles stick to the case?

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
If you want one that doesn't attract dust, get a TPU case or something. Silicone attracts dust. But good review, OP.

(Andrew)

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
If you want one that doesn't attract dust, get a TPU case or something. Silicone attracts dust. But good review, OP.

I bought a TPU case on eBay for $2.51 (coming from Hong Kong) for iPT 4th gen. Hasn't came yet. I hope it ships soon! How does the TPU material compare to silicon or rubber, other than particles sticking or how tight it fits the device?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I might get one when I get my Touch if Switcheasy hasn't come out with anything. Thanks for the review. :)

No problem. I'll be getting a couple more this week, different kinds. One gel case, and one snap on hardshell case. All from Hong Kong sellers. These were 1.99 each free shipping. I hope I can squeeze in a quick video overview of them both.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
No problem. I'll be getting a couple more this week, different kinds. One gel case, and one snap on hardshell case. All from Hong Kong sellers. These were 1.99 each free shipping. I hope I can squeeze in a quick video overview of them both.
Awesome sauce. Look forward to it. :)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Well, I got my gel case (in grey) from seller Ashophone.

First off, it was a real pain to get on. I seriously could not get it on correctly until I sort of loosened up the material slightly by bending it around with my hands. The problem is, the gel material really clings to the smooth chrome on the back of the iPod. I mean, it REALLY clings, so you can't slide it in at all.

I had to slide the top in, and by slide I mean, push pretty hard, back and forth to inch it up into there flush. Then from there I worked the sides on, and finally pull the bottom corners over.

As far as fit goes... there is a little extra material in the top right corner (near sleep/wake button). Not much, but you can see the case curve out slightly in that corner. Not enough to bother me, but it is what it is. Honestly without that slack I'm not sure if the case could have gone on at all.

Because it's see-through, you get the usual watermarking on the back. Looks like fluid is trapped between the case and iPod, and I guess it is just inevitable moisture that gets trapped in there. Not sure if there's much you can do about it.

The sleep/wake button presses just fine, but the volume button are a little weird. The case kind of cuts down on the haptic feedback you receive. And it's one big button that sits over the two separate buttons in the touch, sort of doing away with the advantages of separate buttons. Easy enough to press with your pointer finger when in the right hand, not as easy to press with your thumb when in the right hand. Maybe it's just the angle.

Camera and mic cut out is big enough that even if case is off center, both remain unobstructed.

It slides in and out of the pocket nice though, all while feeling grippy in your hand. That's the nature of this material, and one of the advantages of it over silicone.

My case search is not done, and at some point, I may break down and get a "real" case (belkin/griffin/incase, etc). But for now this will serve me fine. Good for 2 bucks. But a pain to get on, might be a pain to get off, and fit is so-so.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Well, I got my gel case (in grey) from seller Ashophone.

First off, it was a real pain to get on. I seriously could not get it on correctly until I sort of loosened up the material slightly by bending it around with my hands. The problem is, the gel material really clings to the smooth chrome on the back of the iPod. I mean, it REALLY clings, so you can't slide it in at all.

I had to slide the top in, and by slide I mean, push pretty hard, back and forth to inch it up into there flush. Then from there I worked the sides on, and finally pull the bottom corners over.

As far as fit goes... there is a little extra material in the top right corner (near sleep/wake button). Not much, but you can see the case curve out slightly in that corner. Not enough to bother me, but it is what it is. Honestly without that slack I'm not sure if the case could have gone on at all.

Because it's see-through, you get the usual watermarking on the back. Looks like fluid is trapped between the case and iPod, and I guess it is just inevitable moisture that gets trapped in there. Not sure if there's much you can do about it.

The sleep/wake button presses just fine, but the volume button are a little weird. The case kind of cuts down on the haptic feedback you receive. And it's one big button that sits over the two separate buttons in the touch, sort of doing away with the advantages of separate buttons. Easy enough to press with your pointer finger when in the right hand, not as easy to press with your thumb when in the right hand. Maybe it's just the angle.

Camera and mic cut out is big enough that even if case is off center, both remain unobstructed.

It slides in and out of the pocket nice though, all while feeling grippy in your hand. That's the nature of this material, and one of the advantages of it over silicone.

My case search is not done, and at some point, I may break down and get a "real" case (belkin/griffin/incase, etc). But for now this will serve me fine. Good for 2 bucks. But a pain to get on, might be a pain to get off, and fit is so-so.
Nice review. Again. Thanks.
You can use sandpaper and wipe the inside of the case to get rid of the watermarks. Buttons get easier to press over time as the case stretches out and you fit it more properly

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/11155396/
Ok, I feel stupid asking this, but.... What exactly is a water mark?

Cloud-S

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
Can you give the link to the ebay seller who can ship 99c cases or anything similar and cheap to India?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I got my first batch of 99 cent hong kong cases, and made a little video review. I love them. They fit really great. I am pleasantly surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lysUpxv9nyM
Nice review, thanks!

How rigid is the front bottom strip of the case? (the strip on the bottom below the home button) The few similar cases that I've seen are flimsy like rubber bands. Cases like the Griffin Reveal avoid the issue by having an open front.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Nice review, thanks!

How rigid is the front bottom strip of the case? (the strip on the bottom below the home button) The few similar cases that I've seen are flimsy like rubber bands. Cases like the Griffin Reveal avoid the issue by having an open front.
Actually, personally, I don't like the open front. I think it will make the iPod look especially ugly because all the scratches will be on the bottom, and it will look very uneven. But that's just me.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Actually, personally, I don't like the open front. I think it will make the iPod look especially ugly because all the scratches will be on the bottom, and it will look very uneven. But that's just me.
That flimsy 1/16" of silicon/rubber/plastic is not protecting anything. :)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
That flimsy 1/16" of silicon/rubber/plastic is not protecting anything. :)

It does though. It allows you to lay it on it's back and not damage the chrome. It also allows you to lay it on it's face, glass down, which keeps anything from falling on your Touch and breaking the glass. Fact is, you're getting more protection per dollar with the cheapo Hong Kong cases then you're getting with any of the higher priced "real" cases.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It does though. It allows you to lay it on it's back and not damage the chrome. It also allows you to lay it on it's face, glass down, which keeps anything from falling on your Touch and breaking the glass. Fact is, you're getting more protection per dollar with the cheapo Hong Kong cases then you're getting with any of the higher priced "real" cases.
I was referring to the strip below the home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.