$99 dollar classes offered at Apple store

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rxjayhawk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rxjayhawk macrumors newbie

The apple store offers 12 months worth of one on one lessons (any topic) for $99 dollars. I will be purchasing my first macbook next week. What are your thoughts on the Apple store lessons? Seems like a high cost item for the store (too many man hrs for only 99 dollars).

Thanks for your responses in advance.

2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

It's mostly just a gimmick for people to pay extra, just read the manual and you should be good to go. Also go to apple.com/support and watch the videos, they will most likely just teach out of the manuals, also for the more complex problems you could just go on a forum and ask for free instead of paying $99/year (it's $0/year here ;))

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't think "scam" is really an appropriate term here, but it is probably unnecessary. Bear in mind that Apple also offers free group classes on a variety of subjects at their stores.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Depends on how many tutorial hours they are offering for the $99.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

This works for some people. But, based on the number of people who ask the same basic questions over and over, reading is not a strong point for many (writing neither). For example, you could learn by reading that One-to-One training entitles you one training session a week for a year. They don't read the manual to you but demonstrate how things work and then show you how to to do the things you want to do. Some people love this, others don't want or need it. It is a personal decision based on your time, income, and the depth of your interest. Attending some of the free sessions is a good idea.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Even as an experienced Mac user I have found the One-to-One sessions invaluable. You can get help with a project or explore Apple software you're considering buying. I will definitely be renewing my membership when it expires in May.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That is an excellent deal, provided the Apple Store employees are up on the subject matter. Perhaps someone who has taken some of this instruction can report. I'm going to recommend this program to the students who attend my Mac classes. They often ask me about individual instruction.

8. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

My mom and my aunt have both used the program, as well as some other folks that I know. They have done so on my recommendation and it has paid off so much for them...and for me because they don't have to ask me so many questions any more.

One-to-One is great and most of the time the training people who do it are amazingly well versed on many different aspects of the mac and apple software.

If its your first mac, and you feel like you have the time to invest to become an expert with your mac and much of it's software, then it's a great price for a great service.