Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richie3000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
A couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd take advantage of Apple's $99 option to get a new battery installed in my old 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro.

I sent the unit in and naturally got a refurb - which wouldn't be an issue if the battery wasn't equally as crappy as my original.

I have since spent hours on the phone with support, each time going through the same diagnostics and each time they've sent a refurbed replacement that performs only marginally better than my original.

I suspect that while these refurbs may consist of new parts, they operate like they've been sitting on a shelf for years. No amount of "restoring as new", lowering brightness, etc. seems to overcome the fact that they're not installing new batteries, rather just sending refurbs that operate significantly unlike a new device.

I am now waiting on someone from the engineering team to reach out in regards to my third (and worst-performing) replacement device inside of two weeks.

Anyone else experience this or come to any sort of resolution that feels worth your $99?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
It would add a lot of credibility if you provided specifics. Have you tried checking the batteries with CoconutBattery?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
A couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd take advantage of Apple's $99 option to get a new battery installed in my old 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro.

I sent the unit in and naturally got a refurb - which wouldn't be an issue if the battery wasn't equally as crappy as my original.

I have since spent hours on the phone with support, each time going through the same diagnostics and each time they've sent a refurbed replacement that performs only marginally better than my original.

I suspect that while these refurbs may consist of new parts, they operate like they've been sitting on a shelf for years. No amount of "restoring as new", lowering brightness, etc. seems to overcome the fact that they're not installing new batteries, rather just sending refurbs that operate significantly unlike a new device.

I am now waiting on someone from the engineering team to reach out in regards to my third (and worst-performing) replacement device inside of two weeks.

Anyone else experience this or come to any sort of resolution that feels worth your $99?
Aren't all Apple refurbished products supposed to come with a new battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.