$99 iOS developer program: Is it worth it for me to sign up?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MacNoobGuy, May 13, 2012.

1. MacNoobGuy macrumors 6502

hey guys, i'm a complete beginner to iOS and programming in general. i know it's needed to publish apps on the store, but is it worth it for me to sign up? what benefits will i get from it? the only thing i want to do is have the ability to test out apps on an ipod touch.

would it be better for me to wait a bit longer and learn more before going ahead with it? it's for a year, but is that from now till Dec 31st or May 12th 2013?

thanks

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hi MacNoobGuy,

If you're a complete beginner in iOS programming, I would suggest waiting until you can actually create an app and run it on the xCode simulator. Once you're at that stage, you will have to enroll in the developer's program for $99 per year in order for you to sign the application and run it on your iPod.

Without enrollment, you can only ever run the app on the simulator - and that in it self isn't a true test of the app's capabilities or performance etc until you get it onto actual hardware.

If you were to enroll in the developer program right now - it would expire in a years time, so - 13th May 2013.

R.

3. xArtx macrumors 6502a

I'd agree to try out the simulator.

There are reasons you'd need to jump straight in.
    If you wanted to use real GPS hardware for example.

I do find it more rewarding to see things happen on the real hardware,
    and be able to carry it with me.

The year is confirmed on the phone under Settings, General, Profile Provisioning.
    Mine expires April 2013.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Do as much testing of your app in the simulator before you sign up for the developer program.

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

GPS can now be simulated too.. but some other things can't be tested easily, therefore I signed up after I knew I would be able to do some real damage to the machine, if you know what i mean ;)

6. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

cool, thanks!

7. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

If your completely new to programming then you have a few fun months of learning some Objective-C and C. Which can be done with only terminal but more fun if you use xCode and get use to the environment.

Like the others have said. You can get a fair way in before you'll need to test on device.

8. xArtx macrumors 6502a

For me the GPS on the simulator is always in the same location.
    How can a Mac without GPS hardware simulate a GPS?
    You'd at least have to be able to fake some coordinates being sent by core location.

9. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Wifi Trangulation has been included since iOS5, at the top while in simulator you can also fake your location by giving in coordinates :)

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Thought I'd just throw this screenshot in here, in case anyone was still wondering how:

Attached Files:

11. firewood macrumors 604

I'd say: go ahead and sign up (just pay the $99/annum) if you want to run app's on your iOS device.

Even while you're still learning, you can download Apple's sample apps and app source code from github (et.al.) and play with them on your is device. It's more fun learning by putting your code on your mobile device than just simulating it. Plus, you'll learn more about proper UX design by trying things out on an actual device.

You can also use the Simulator as well to help debug stuff.

12. truehybridx macrumors member

How bout for now just save your money, jailbreak your iPhone, mod Xcode to build without provisioning, ssh to your iPhone :D

The only real benefits of being registered is first access to betas, test on the device (without jail breaking), submitting for sale, game center access (i think?), iCloud access (i think?)

13. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Is there a current tutorial for the second part?

14. MacNoobGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks