$999 a good price for the 12" MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ozziegn, Feb 12, 2016.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I noticed that B&H has the 12" MacBook for $999 and I'm thinking about going to Best Buy and have them price match B&H's site. That's $300 off which seems like a great deal to me. I'm currently using a 2015 13" MBA that's been great to me. I just have always had the itch for the sweet looking 12" MacBooks and now seems like a great time to buy one.

Do you guys think this would be a great upgrade?

2. r6mile macrumors 6502

$999 is a good deal for the Macbook, but it's not an upgrade from a 2015 13" MBA.

3. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

It's a great deal, but honestly, wait till the next revision. I think it'll be worth it!

4. Closingracer, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

Closingracer macrumors 68030

Not at $1299.

At $1299 they are selling the one with the 512GB ssd and if i didn't buy my Macbook pro 13 inch I would be all over that because of the storage space

5. Dubadai macrumors regular

Dubadai

What I meant was that it's worth waiting for the new revision, performance wise, as well as seeing what Apple has got up their sleeve. If its nothing special, then there will be plenty of deals on the older model :)

6. acastic macrumors regular

Do you live in New York? If not, if you buy it from B&H, I believe it's tax free. That might be a better option over having Best Buy price match it.

7. dmx macrumors 6502a

Unless you really need something more portable, I'd say no, not yet.

The 12" has an amazing display... But compared to your current MacBook Air, not much more. It's significantly slower, only 256gb storage...

If this was the Skylake Core M (or maybe one generation after Skylake) and it had 512GB storage standard... I'd say go for it. As of now, I don't think it's *that* compelling - though I certainly believe it's form factor will be best for most people as its updated over the next year or two.

8. geraldem macrumors regular

Picked up the rMB tonight at BestBuy. Got the 1.2ghz 512gb model. They did the price match from the BHPhoto website. So I picked it up for 1249.00. Cant complain about that!!

9. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I think it's a great price... Might be enough to be able to live with only one port... Curious though if there is something coming soon? I think this is the lowest Ive seen them.

10. geraldem macrumors regular

There will always be a something coming soon. But I hear ya, I thought about that. But at the price, it is hard to resist! Worst case, I sell on eBay and get new one when it comes out. at this price, I will be fine...

11. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Why would you want to upgrade a 2015 MBA?? I would just take the sunk cost, keep using it for the next 3 - 5 years and then upgrade to whatever rMB Apple has at the time (or whatever new model they would have released by then). That makes most financial sense. Now, if money is of no concern, then well...

12. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I had BB do a price match also - I stayed w/ the base model and had $315 in gift cards.. for about $750 after tax I couldn't pass it up. Its not my primary Mac, I just wanted something in case I wanted to go portable and the little bit I did messing around in photoshop today its held up nicely. Its not a speed demon but serves its purpose.

13. geraldem macrumors regular

Exactly. I have Lightroom on mine and it works fine. Definitely faster on my SurfaceBook, but this is so freaking light and portable. love it

14. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

* update *

I bought the 1.1Ghz MacBook and I used it for a few days. I then returned it after realizing first hand that it definitely didn't have the muscle that my MBA has. I knew the MacBook had weaker specs but I guess I had to see and feel them personally before I made up my mind.

I'm sooooo glad I didn't sell my MBA. I would've been SOL........ lol

15. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Book it here now.....Nothing special. Core M skylake isn't the be all end all and this goes for the Air (11 or 13) or the 13 inch Macbook Pro. Skylake will improve battery life but the increases over broadwell isn't worth the time to wait for it. Broadwell works fine and if it's on sale the. Go buy it.

16. Sumter macrumors 6502

Sumter

I would have been all over that rMB deal if I did not have my 2015 13" rMBP. I'm like in love with this laptop. It's been half a year and I still sometimes just sit back and admire it. Screen is gorgeous.

Glad to know you realized what is right for you. rMB isn't for everyone.

17. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

You couldn't have used it more than 2 days given your original post is from Friday night and your update is from Sunday night. It's good you were able to get it from BB.

18. drewjonn macrumors regular

Nobody mentions about the sole USB-C port though? There is no versatility unless thou wanna spend an extra 70 dollars and carry that adapter everywhere.

19. burgman, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Didn't know that thanks, I just took my rMB and beat it with a hammer thanks again.

20. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

The target market for the rMB doesn't care about ports. This is an internet and documents machine.

21. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Agree bout target audience, but not with the rest.

22. drewjonn macrumors regular

I'm just saying it's totally not worthed for usual Mac users. The rMB is definitely not for everyone. You gotta be ready with the minus before purchasing it.

23. Closingracer macrumors 68030

Cool? It's the fact though...

24. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

I think it's a great deal as I got mine for $1249 with a student discount a week after they came out. I most certainly think it's an upgrade from a 13" MacBook Air! Display, bezels,thinness, weight, internal speakers, trackpad, overall footprint, no moving parts or noise, ect!

25. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Facts are fungible most are just opinions