$999 Refurb vs $1199 new

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rxl125, Feb 26, 2008.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

Refurbished MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    1GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    for $999

With education discount...
    vs 1199 for a new one with 2 gigs of ram and a speed pump and 40 more in the hard drive...

What's the better deal? Would I most likely be getting a new macbook in the refurb area?

2. mchank macrumors regular

If you get the refurbished one, you could get a bigger hard drive and use the one that comes with the Macbook as a backup drive. Ram is cheap nowadays; at Fry's you can get a 4gig kit for less than $100. Of course, with a new one your get the new processors which should have bettery battery life. I personally would get the refurb; with the money you'd save you could get more space or a second battery.

3. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I second the refurb. I honestly don't think there will be much of a difference.

4. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i'm going for a refurb when they update the site

5. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

why not just go for the 2.1? it's new and it'll cost the same as the refurb. a dvd writer isn't that big a deal (plus you could always get a faster one on your own when you really need it).

do you really think .3 ghz is going to make that big of a difference?

6. danny_w macrumors 601

For $50 more ($1049) you could get the black MB with a larger 160GB hdd. That would be my choice.

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can get that same model brand new at Amazon right now for $1,069 with free shipping and no sales tax while they last. That would be cheaper in the end than paying $999 + tax for the refurb from Apple.

8. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

10. rxl125 thread starter macrumors regular

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I just went for the $999 refurb. I considered the Amazon deal but wanted to get a new laser printer too and the $100 mail in rebate from Apple was too tempting.

The Blackbook is nice but I decided that 40Gb of HD space and fingerprint magnet matte black finish wasn't worth the $50 for me. I'm aware that the white ones scratch easier so it came down to preference.

The $950 White refurb doesn't accept 4Gb of Ram and has a slower FSB, smaller cache, and older integrated graphics chip so I didn't want that one either...

I didn't get the low end new one because I wanted a DVD burner.

On another note, I order 4Gb of Ram from OWC and they sent me an email saying that my order was delayed because I was having it shipped to an address other than my credit card billing address (I was having it sent to my girlfriend's house), and I would have to fax them a form with my driver's license and and credit card copied on it. I decided I didn't want the hassle so I looked at Crucial and the ram is only $5 more (wow they've come down...) there so I canceled and reordered from them.

The only thing that you might consider is that refurbs of the new models might become available but I figured they wouldn't be much less expensive than one with an Edu discount, which is still more expensive for what you get.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

from the Apple refurb store, probably not (significantly), and the refurb store is so blippy and they get soldout quick.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Sounds like case closed to me, what else is there to think about? Unless you live in a weird place that charges less than 7% tax then the new one is cheaper.

14. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

For those of you considering, Ive recently seen a MPB pop-up in the refurb store for $1299 on a few occasions. They go fast, but they have been there. I cant recall the specs, but the original price was $1999.

Actually, I just came across a screen cap of it. This was from about a week ago.

Attached Files: