9C7A - an LG or Samsung?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wolfattack, Mar 19, 2008.

1. wolfattack macrumors member

I just turned on my brand new 17" MBP, glossy hi-res, and its freaking beautiful!!!! My first mac ever. No dead pixels, no yellowing so far, ive been trying to see it, but i can't at all!

I just looked to see what kind of screen i have, and it says it is a 9C7A. Which manufacturer is that? Thanks again!!!!

2. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I've got the same one, but with a matte display.

3. antmo macrumors member

i too have that model in the 17" hr and it is gorgeous...not a defect i can discern

mjb

4. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Does anyone have a calibrated .icc file for this screen?

5. iMack007 macrumors member

Thats the same as mine...I just got mine yesterday. I guess they might have gotten a third manufacturer since the production of 17 inch high res LED's ramped up.

6. scott9s macrumors member

7. PDE macrumors 68020

If you want to know the manufacturer just install swithresX and export and open the DDC file. At the bottom you'll see the LCD model number and you can google it to find out who manufactures it.

8. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Ok, I installed SwitchResX and the part number is: LP171WU4-TLA1. After Googling, I found out that we have a 17.1 inch LGP (LG Phillips) LCD. I had a 15" Samsung (9C83) which had a slight yellowing issue in the bottom third of the screen. I exchanged it for an LG (9C81) and it was pretty much perfect. I compared the two side-by-side in the store and the LG had a brighter and whiter display. So I'm not really surprised that this panel is an LG. By the way, I downloaded some of the calibration .icc files that I used for my 15" and the one called MBPro19Jun07.icc looks the best so far. You can find it in the SR good calibration files thread. Good luck.

9. iMack007 macrumors member

I dunno...It looks to me to give the display an overly red hue.

10. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Looks pretty good on mine. When I flip-flop between the default profile and it does make it slightly red, but it improves the contrast alot. Try looking at some good digital pictures and you'll see what I mean.

11. iMack007 macrumors member

When you turn the backlight all the way up, it looks ALOT better.

12. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I usually keep mine at 4-5 ticks down from MAX. Full brightness is just to bright for me. However, it is nice that you can turn the brightness all the way up without washing out the picture!

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

God I cant wait to get mine tomarrow... hopefully I'll get the 9c7A everyone is raving about.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I got my new mbp with no stuck/dead pixels of any kind and all white all around 9c7a.. but not sure if its me or not the colors dont seem as vibrant as my 15" sr mbp with a auo screen.. seems a tad bit overly bright.. but then hi def does make it look nice i'm happy with it! :D

15. ctishue macrumors member

Get your hands on a simple calibrator like a spyder or huey pro and the colors will come to life. Out of the box mine were washed out and very bluish. I could barely tell the difference between blue/white rows in Finder list view. After calibration it looks A LOT better.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I just used a profile from one of the threads and yes it looks gorgeous now!!

Sadly I noticed 1 tiny small blue stuck pixel to the far left shows up in every color except black and blue, oh well other than that the screen looks perfect and is gorgeous!! I had another mbp previous model with a stuck pixel right in the middle but after a while I notice you dont care and dont notice it anymore. I'm just glad its on the far left side near the end.

God this mbp is gorgeous and it DOES run that much cooler =D