9C84 unibody display color shift?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jottle, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Jottle macrumors 6502

I've searched the forum and noted the differences between the 9C85 and 9C84 displays on the new unibody 15'' macbook pros. I have the 9C84 and can live with the slightly less saturated black and colors. However, is it normal for these displays to have such drastic color shift. It seems as though if I move my head up or down from straight on 90 degrees in front of the screen, all the colors get slightly darker or slightly lighter. Does this happen on the 9C85 panel too? I'm pretty sure this is just the normal property of the TN panel, but it takes some getting used to. Even a slight shift in my viewing angle produces a slight change in darker colors/saturation.

Let me know if that's the status quo here...

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

That's how all TN panels are, even on desktop LCDs - but those are usually larger and the changes in angle aren't as "extreme" as with the laptops.

3. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense. I have a 19'' TN panel that I hook my macbook pro up to and I don't really notice the color shift as much, but it is definitely there even on the bigger screen. So it's just that the screen is so tiny that the optimum viewing angle is just very very small? I've calibrated the screen for better colors, but I guess there's nothing I can do about the viewing angles. So everyone has this on their macbook pros?

4. 7even macrumors 6502a

I do think that is because the screen is smaller. I get a similar color shift with my 9C84 panel. It's not *that* noticeable unless you have an image up and you're looking at it while you tilt the screen around. I had a 15" Thinkpad, and that screen changed colors with every minute vertical movement. Seriously, there was about 1 degree of flexibility in the viewing angle. Straight on, whoa, sweet. Tilt the screen slightly (or move your head up or down) and bam, colors are no longer great :(

Bottom line, don't pay much attention to it, just use your laptop :)

5. Jottle thread starter macrumors 6502

So I guess the noticeable color shift for these displays is normal, unless anyone else cares to chime in.