9c89, 9c8C Screens Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mcewanmac, Nov 5, 2008.

1. mcewanmac macrumors newbie

I have visited 3 Apple stores and tested 60 macbooks, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro Machines.

They are all identical in colour, saturation and view.

They had various screen codes 9c89, and 9c8c that were mixed in pros, airs and Macbooks. They are all the same. If you use the high end graphic card in the pro, you can see some differences, but it is not the screen it is the graphic card. But if you want to spend more for this then it is up to you.

Every machine looks different when tilted, viewed from other angles and if you sit upside down with an orange in your mouth.

Chill out, enjoy your machine - Whatever the code (no one knows for sure what these mean but I am sure someones Uncles dog will work at an apple toilet and tell me)

If you have ordered one, or want to order one. DO IT! they are the most beautiful machines on the market.

Enjoy.

Oh, and just for the record. I am a professional photographer with 15 years Mac experience.

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

thanks for your input i hope this will silence people

3. 8theapple macrumors regular

+1

I just got my Macbook and the screen and unibody - such a beautiful combination. I don't know what the fuss was ever about the screen. It's simply gorgeous. I'm loving this computer!!!

Now to order the MStand by Rain Design, add a new mouse and Apple wireless keyboard.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Not sure if you are saying that the macbook and macbook pro screens look identical to each other, or if all the macbooks look alike with each other. If the former, then you are very wrong, the Macbook pro screen is much better quality than the macbook. The Air screen is better than the macbook's too.

The graphics card has absolutely nothing to do with screen quality.

5. NetGX macrumors newbie

Couldn't be more true, I am coming from previously owning a Macbook pro and Macbook Air, I can honestly say that the screen on the current generation macbook is "SIGNIFICANTLY" worse than both the Air and the Pro.

Maybe looking in a store they may appear similiar but after actually working with them for a significant amount of time, it is crystal clear that the macbook screen simply cannot compete with the higher quality displays founds within the Air and Pro models

6. panzaman macrumors member

second that....the graphic card has absolutely nothing to do with the screen quality, you could spot a difference if you play a game where on a lower end GPU the game will configure itself to use lower resolution textures and less polygons for 3d objects but not on the desktop or looking at pictures.

7. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I have a 9c89 in a MB and I'm quite happy with it, for what it's worth.

8. leman macrumors 604

I don't get you. The graphic card has no impact on image quality aside 3d graphics (and the one in pro is not high-end, by any means, mid-end at best) - every modern card provides superior 2D quality!. The MBPro has clearly better display, with better constrast and viewing angles then the MB, if you didn't see it you must be blind. Not that I believe the MB display to be bad or anything, I think it is adequate. But it is clearly inferior to the MBPro display!

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

The Macbook Pro has a better screen than the Macbook. Real life contrast rates are 150:1 for the Macbook, and 500:1 for the Macbook Pro. Another MBP panel was measured at 974:1. (source).

Graphic cards can have an impact on image quality (signal quality), but the differences in contrast rate aren't caused by graphic cards.

Blacklevels and viewing angels are also better on the MBP.

10. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

OP, you're a brave man (or woman :cool:) but give it up, the majority here believe the MacBook screen is a failure and refuse to listen to anything to the contrary.

You have fun, enjoy!

If you need me, I'll be coding and listening to my iTunes library on my new MacBook.

11. mcewanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

HOHO

there are a lot of guys here without macbooks that pass comment.

There are also some trying to justify their brick like 15'' MBP that isn't that much better. Maybe it is because it is so large on your knee that it's fat ass is wobbling all over the place and distorting the screen.

Oh hold on, i just moved my head slightly downward and my screen looked better than the macbook pro. No, hold on again. My head moved. doh!

I love my macbook.

12. richorlin macrumors regular

Give it a rest already

I have the new Macbook and I find it to be an excellent laptop. I have no problem with the build quality or the screen quality. If it's acceptable to you, then buy one. If not, then pay the extra for the MBP. No amount of bitching and complaining is going to get Apple to change anything. If the 13" Macbook had both firewire and the same screen as the Air or the MBP, it would cannibalize sales of both. Apple had to do something to differentiate the Macbook from it's siblings.
    For God's sake, give it a rest already. You complainers can either buy it or not, but shut up about it already. It is what it is.

13. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I ran into the negative black issue last night while trying to watch a movie in full screen, seemed like there was a circle in the middle of the screen that looked good and everything else was inverted.

I then solved the problem by setting the MacBook up about two feet away and watching from my bed. Doesn't fix the light black bar at the bottom, but improves the viewing angle a lot and makes movies watchable.

Probably a no brainer, but might help someone.

14. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Same here. Occassionally I see a bit of problems if the screen is tilted too far back, but other than that, its perfect.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have to admit when I saw the title I was ready to reply "do we need more threads about this?"
    You are right, I was at a Apple store today w/ my daughter and I didn't see a difference. I love my new Macbook and I think the screen is awesome!

16. i0Nic macrumors 65816

It's funny all the new macbook owners quickly jumping to it's defense, making fun of people who are (rightly) pointing out the misleading and uninformed comments of the original poster. The fact that he said it could be the graphics card that's making the difference shows that he has no freaking clue what he is talking about and is close to trolling IMO.

The macbook is a great machine, there's no doubt about it. But don't tell me that the screen is just as good as the macbook pro, because it's not. I know you are trying to make yourselves feel better by saying it is, but just quit it. Embrace your 13" beauty for what it is - a great little consumer notebook with a pro-style body.

Noone here is making fun of the macbook purchasers or putting down the macbook in any way, we are just pointing out the serious flaws in the original poster's comments. Some of us bought the new macbook pro over the macbook simply because of the screen difference - so don't try and tell us that the screen on the macbook is just as good. I don't care what freakin model number it is, all the macbooks screen are pretty much the same, and inferior to the panels of the MBP. Just accept it, there's no use making threads saying OHH THE MACBOOK SCREEN IS WONDERFUL AND PERFECT trying to justify your purchase. If you like it, then great. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not as good as the one on the much more expensive MBP.

To the OP - if you are a professional photographer with 15 years of experience and can't tell the difference in quality between the macbook and macbook pro - get your eyes checked. OR... if you are just saying that because the macbook screen is good enough for you, then that's an entirely different thing and you shouldn't be spreading misinformation on these boards.

17. Greystorm macrumors member

So are you saying they are all the same or are you saying that they are all different?

I own a MacBook and am happy with the screen for what it is. Yes the viewing angle is pretty poor, but so are most cheap notebook screens. I think the colours and contrast are actually better than most cheap screens though.

To claim they are the same as the pro or air is just a nonsense though. The contrast and viewing angles are quite different between the different models.

18. Corvillus macrumors member

I have the new unibody MacBook. I bought it to replace a broken 17" PowerBook G4. And compared to the black and white MacBooks, the screen is basically the same as far as viewing angles and contrast ratios go, but the backlighting is much more even and brighter.

Compared to that 17" PowerBook and any of the MacBook Pros though, HUGE difference in viewing angle and contrast. The MacBooks really don't hold a candle in terms of display quality. This isn't new though, Apple has a habit of doing this with their consumer lines. iBook G4, 12" PowerBook G4, 20" Aluminum iMac, and the MacBook all come to mind as having bad screens compared to their higher end counterparts. And quite frankly, for how close the rest of the specs are in the machines in many cases, they probably have to do it in order to differentiate and up-sell to professionals.

I'm a programmer, so I'm having no problem living with the screen, it's adequate for my needs. And quite frankly, the screen is probably good enough for most people's needs (and in many of the cases where they aren't, the Pro won't do the greatest either, because all of the Apple notebooks use 6 bit TN panels, making getting an external 8-bit IPS panel the only option for many for serious work). But there is no question that the screen is notably inferior to the MacBook Pro and Air.

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Nice semi-necrobump...lol

20. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

guys lets not give him the attention he is obviously wanting.

15 years mac experience but not a very good knowledge of the insides of the computer.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE MACBOOK VS THE MACBOOK PRO SCREEN

end of thread.

21. armani macrumors regular

I have a question. I have had macbook pro since Nov and have not been not happy with display colors and contrast. Default color settings look brownish, when I tried RGB color settings - even worse, it looks so blueish, I tried to calibrate - could not do it properly. I downloaded color profiles from the web, some of them worked, but still not what I would expect. I checked my friends power book and I should say his colors look better. I have just put my macbook pro beside our 24" iMac and iMac looks SO much better, way better, contrast is great, colors too. I set them both to defaults and what a difference in color, macbook looks so brownish as I said before. When I set iMac to Adobe RGB for example it does not look bluish, but Macbook is way blue. When I look at the dock icons, they stand out on iMac, so crispy and sharp, on Macbook they are sort of washed out a bit, ok, but great. Shall I speak to Apple, or they are going to tell "that is the way it supposed to be"? How do your screens look like? I don't know what to think.

22. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The 24" iMac has a technologically superior panel to that in the Macbook and Macbook Pros. Give the program "SuperCal" a try in calibration. It takes a fair bit of time to generate the proper red/blue/green curves, but it can make a world of difference.

23. armani macrumors regular

Thank you! And this superiority is so visible! It look so great.

24. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Exactly, but the MacBook @ $1400-$1600 w/ tax depending on what model you get is nowhere close to cheap.