9gb for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whomadeamark, Nov 25, 2007.

1. whomadeamark macrumors newbie

Does Leopard really take up 9gb more disk space if you install it over Tiger? I only have 11gb left space and can't afford to upgrade if it means being left with 2gb!

Thank you in advance!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It can do if you chose to install all the printer drivers and extra stuff like that.

A fresh install of leopard used only 6GBs for me.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You should get an external HDD and dump most of your stuff on it. The rule is not to exceed the last 25% of your hard drive or your computer will begin to slow down.

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

5. visch1 macrumors newbie

I'm confused on some of these "rules", who makes them? Some 9th grader with his first computer or someone with good knowledge about the workings of a drive. For 16 years I used the 10% number. Woops!! I get it now, it's the drive makers trying to boost sales!

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Utter nonsense. You trying to tell me that if you have a 400GB drive you should keep 100GB free in order to prevent your computer from slowing down? Yeah, right.

There might be a "rule" for a physical amount of space to keep free (though I have no idea what it would be), but throwing percentages around makes no sense.

7. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Dear god, what have you got on your hard disk? geeze, if I had a 80gig hard disk, I'd be lucky to fill half of it!

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Heh, I wish I was in your situation :). I have 750GBs of drive space and it looks like I need to shell out for a 1TB drive now :(.

I would recommend keeping about 15GBs of free space on your primary drive for virtual memory usage. Of course the amount will vary depending on what you use your computer for but 15GBs is a good number taking into account light, medium and heavy computer users.

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I'm mostly a student, but then again, I tend to purge regularly. Stuff I don't need, I delete immediately.

IIRC aren't there like 'raid boxes' where you can plugin 4 disks and you end up with a 'one big disk' appearing to the computer?

10. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

That's how much free space is required to install not the additional space that will be used after install. Swap space.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes you can use an external RAID array if you want. I don't need the speed or redundancy that RAID offers though. Plus I don't have the money to hand to buy a 4 drive array in one go. I'm just slowly filling up the internal drive bays in my Mac Pro.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Correct.

13. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

after it's installed, use a tool such as Monolingual to get rid of all the other languages. it saved me 2.3GB...

14. whomadeamark thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, i really don't know. i'm sure my disk space went from 30gb to about 10gb in about a week - any suggestions why? also, when i bought the computer i only had about 60gb free space to start with because of Tiger and that 80gb isn't really 80gb. And i have windows now which takes up another 10gb...

unfortunately i use japanese fonts, so would Leopard take up a whole extra 9gb?

15. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

You can deselect the other languages during the installation as well as any unused printer drivers.

16. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

true... but running the utility also gets rid of languages in some of the software you have installed, help files, and things like that. i deselected the languages before installing leopard and this STILL saved me 2.3GB