9mo old First Gen iPhone replacement...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brett0712, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Brett0712 macrumors member

So... I'll apologize for a long read before hand.

I was given an iPhone for my b-day/ Valentines Day back in Feb of 08... After about a week of use it developed at few stuck pixels so I brought it to my nearest Apple Store (Natick Collection in Natick, MA) and the swapped it out with a new one with no problems at all. The new one had no screen issues but had a speck of dust under the glass, the bezel was hanging over on one side, and the seam around the glass was uneven. (I noticed all this a few days later) So, seeing I use a case, I didn’t care about the hardware and was happy with a perfect screen...

Fast forward to last week...

About 7-10 small stuck pixels appear in the top left corner so I decide that I will go see if I can get it repaired. (Was thinking that the first gens only get repaired seeing they are no longer being sold) I made an appt with the genius bar at the same store (Natick Collection in Natick, MA) and hoped for the best.

This is where it all starts. I realize I am going to be late so I call the store and spoke with someone and they stated that they would just put me on standby when I got there seeing they were booked for the rest of the night. This is fine with me because I wasn’t going to make my set time so I didn’t mind waiting. I get there and talk to the girl at the concierge desk (really cute btw...) and she got my name and let the Genius Bar know that I was there. About 5 min goes by and she comes back over and talks to me about the phone to see if there were any software issues I might have had to see if she could help. She made a real effort to see what she could do before I made it to the Genius. No sooner I finish talking to her, she tells me it’s my turn. On standby, I was able to see a Genius about 10min after I got to the store, I was very pleased!!!

So I go talk to the Genius, and he asks what was up. I started with the dust under the screen and before I could even move on to anything else "Ok cool, I'll replace that for you, got it all backed up?” I was stunned! I didn’t even get to finish explaining and he was going to place it for me. The bezel was all scratched as well as a few gouges on the back and I walked away with a brand new first gen iPhone (I like the alum on the old ones). So as he was putting in all my info and getting the replacement ready we talked about the new MBPs and stuff. It's nice when customer services people make you feel at ease and will be more than willing to strike up a conv with you. Also, I can’t forget to mention I gave the girl at the concierge desk a few smiles ;). I think I might go back and tell her my phone is broken again ;)

I guess the point of this thread is that, in MY experience the people that work for Apple (that I have come in contact with) are by far the friendliest and most outgoing customer service / sales people that I have EVER come in contact with!!! I don’t know if its store-to-store but even the people at Apple Care are VERY friendly and helpful! Its too bad that some of the people on this forum have had bad experiences because I have had NOTHING but good experiences with Apple!

I was NOT expecting to get my phone replaced by any means, now I have a brand new one with not a single flaw, perfect screen, and everything is aligned!!!!!

2. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Wait a second, they still have first Gen NEW iphones in stock ? or was it a white box ?
    Just curious because i have the 3g and my 2g is still under a year old just incase something goes wrong its good to know they still have some sort of stock

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

4. marksubishi macrumors newbie

Nice read..

I actually am on my second iPhone 3g (my first one was bought on opening day) - my problem was the dust under the screen. Even though they agreed to switch it with no problems, I did feel bad and even assured them that it was just a suggestion and didn't necessarily need to be replaced. I was the first to do it at that location, so it seems like its rare cases, or people don't really care.

5. Brett0712 thread starter macrumors member

They dont stock them for sale, just for replacements. So they are in the white boxes...

Sorry about the long story! I like to be thorough!