9to5Mac claims Health app was redesigned because of their leak

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rogifan, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Right after WWDC Mark Gurman tweeted that he bet Apple changed the name/design of Health app because of his leak. We'll surprise, surprise, he claims to have found Apple employees who say it was redesigned because of his leak. And these same employees also supposedly say the leaked design was better than what Apple released. Of course I find that highly amusing considering at the time 9to5Mac and others made fun of the design.

I'm highly skeptical Apple would re-design something because of a leak. Case in point, last year 9to5Mac leaked mock ups of iOS 7 icons and yet none of them have been redesigned. It seems much more likely that Apple had multiple designs they were considering and the colored cards didn't make the cut. iOS design is white with splashes of color. That leaked design was a mismatch of dark and pastel colors that didn't really go together and on a black background to boot! When you look at the two screen shots it's quite obvious which one seems more in line with iOS design.

Perhaps Gurman has some bad sources inside Apple (or people purposely feeding him false information).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/09/ios-8...terface-changed-late-in-development/#comments

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iOS 7 icons were leaked the day before WWDC.

The "Healthbook" info was leaked months before WWDC this year. They had a lot more time this time to make some changes.

Who knows, they could very likely have been testing various UI's and decided on the one they've now shown. Who knows, and honestly, what does it matter?

Mark and 9to5Mac have broken plenty of other stories that turned out to be accurate. Journalism isn't a science and is never 100% spot on, anyways.

3. Rogifan, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sure I just think it would be nice if once in a while they admitted they were wrong about something, rather than trying to prove that they really were right. I find it highly skeptical Apple would redesign something just because of their leak (John Gruber basically said the same thing), and even if they did, I'm more skeptical that an Apple employee would admit it. Seems to me the guys at 9to5Mac think they're more important than they really are.

4. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

It's Gurman, so what do you expect? But even if it's true, Apple's plan B is actually better than plan A. The Passbook-style cards is a nice way to pack in more content but it feels really crammed. Yet, if it were up to me I'd copy the Weather app's UI.

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

Wasn’t there somebody who worked for Gizmodo (or similar) a while back who claimed that Apple changed things that he claimed were going to end up in a major iOS version that never made it there because he leaked it?

6. Rogifan, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014

Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I like what John Gruber wrote:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/06/09/gurman-apple-priorities

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

9to5Mac claims Health app was redesigned because of their leak

Haha. Good job, JG! The guy definitely has ego issues and loves to brag if he gets a leak correct, with a "I told you I posted this months ago." That's pretty annoying. But, whatever. To each its own.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Gruber actually had Mark Gurman on his podcast shortly after Mark reported that designer Greg Christie was leaving Apple. He was very respectful toward Mark but it was hilarious how his own sources pretty much refuted everything in Mark's story. I still think Gruber had him on his show to refute Mark's claim that anyone disputing his story was getting their talking points from Apple PR. That's some ego for someone who's only 20.

9. The Doctor11, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014

The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Oh I hope not. The leaks looked awesome. The real thing looks like ****. Apple needs to fix it. Just make the leaks the health app.
    I talked about this in this video
    I started talking about health book at 6:58 in the video.

10. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I know, right? When he was not selected for the WWDC lottery he tweeted "I know everything that's going to happen anyway". (Only four or five things he leaked were right)

What an arrogant kid but well, he's a journalist and that's what he eats with.

11. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Yeah Apple surly cares about a 20 year old kid and changed their road map.

Gurman's head has been getting big lately. It doesn't help when Leo Laporte fuels it by publicly voicing his surprise/jealousy that Mark is only 20 years old and has some of the best leaks on the web. Been mentioned many times on his podcasts.

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

What really irks me is when he and his 9to5Mac cohorts constantly make fun of Apple on Twitter. As if they're some big hot shots because they run an Apple rumors website.

13. TC03 macrumors 65816

It's absolutely nonsense to say that Apple changed the design because of a leak. What purpose would that have? Absolutely stupid.

14. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Stopped visiting after iOS 7 was released and they kept cramming in their parenthetical commentary on how ugly it looked in every post.

15. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

A few devs had found code referencing 'Healthbook' instead of health. So they probably changed the name due to the leak. It's still the same concept. The actual layout of the app was an idea of what it may look like, based on what Passbook looks like currently.

They also found code for 'TextEdit' for iOS as well.

Go to @hamzasood on twitter for the screenshots proving it.

16. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

He def knows his stuff, and has good intel, but the cockiness is part of youth I think, and will settle down with time (assuming he sticks with it)

17. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

The repetition of icons in each section does suggest a hasty redesign tbh

18. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I saw somewhere that the name Healthbook is already in use by another company. So maybe that was an internal code name and Apple changed it after they found out. Or maybe when they redesigned the app they decided healthbook as a name didn't make sense anymore.

19. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

20. matty.p macrumors 6502

I agree with Gruber and I think Gurman wouldn't be as upset if more of his rumors / predictions hadn't turned out to be correct. Additionally, I don't know if an argument of it being worse is anything more than a subjective opinion. I personally prefer the newer design and a dashboard with lots of data presented in charts seems more useful to me than having to switch between cards to see the same data.

21. thaifood, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

thaifood macrumors 6502

I completely share this opinion. So many people love to claim how important they are when they don't even register on the radars of big companies.

Reminds me of the letter that guy at Gizmodo sent Steve Jobs regarding the found iPhone 4. It oozed desperation and was really unprofessionally written. I'd be ashamed to sign my name on something like that.

EDIT: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/henry-blodget-gizmodo-editor-brian-lams-email-to-steve-jobs-raises-question-would-gizmodo-have-published-iphone-story-if-apple-hadnt-spurned-it-2010-5

22. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Just curious, how is this even news? Seems like a non-story except for a pathetic blogger clamoring for attention as if the world revolves around him.

23. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Yeah that's more than likely the case, though Apple usually attempts to get an agreement with that company that trademarked the name to use the name like they did with the iPhone name from Linksys.

24. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Best thing about it is now every time he reports something we get snark in the comments sections. 9to5Mac articles don't normally get a lot of comments but this one has 64, most of them calling Gurman out for what he wrote.

25. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

The leaks were definitely real, but the claim that Apple redesigned because of 9to5mac? I highly doubt it.