9to5Mac reports slightly improved reception on white iPhone 4 [to be concluded]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Apr 27, 2011.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Waiting patiently to hear about the non-conclusive "slight improvement" they noticed.

2. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

It amazes me that with all the "antennagate" stuff, with the original iPhone 4, the Verizon iPhone 4, and now the white iPhone 4, there has been to my knowledge only one site that actually investigated the problem correctly. Anandtech is the only site I've seen that actually looked at and compared the signal attenuation in decibels, rather than using essentially meaningless "bars."

Does no one know about field test mode? It's really simple to get to and gives a much more quantifiable answer to the existence of any antenna improvements.

For those interested in Anandtech's original articles for the original and Verizon iPhone 4.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4163/verizon-iphone-4-review/2

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

This post is like work of art. Precise, to the point, and sources given. Please post more often VforVelveta since you helping the community with your knowledge :)

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

lol someone has a crush :p

5. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I have a crush on his name! I think it's because my mom use to work for kraft foods :p

6. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

Ha ha, well thanks, glad I could share a little valuable info I've come across :)

Part of the reason I posted it was that "findings" like this video tend to bug me more than others. I'm an RF engineer by trade, so it drives me nuts whenever I see articles/videos about the antenna problem that use "OMG th3 barz r dropping" as the reason for their conclusion. Reading that Anandtech article was like a breath of fresh air for me, a well reasoned conclusion supported by defined and quantifiable numbers. And like I said, I find it strange that, as far as I know, it's the only real analysis I've seen on the subject. Anywhoo, I'll end my rant here, thanks for listening :D

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Very few people actually care about the facts. They tend to confuse all the stories and rumors. :D

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This one by AntennaSys is pretty good too: iPhone 4 Meets The GripOfDeathInator.

...not that any number of legitimate sources will convince anyone that the issues with the antenna are real and not something that was just blown up by the media, mind you.