9wk old Mac Pro Dead as a can of Spam :(

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by costabunny, Sep 2, 2008.

1. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well came home, powered up my Mac Pro (first time in nine weeks Ive powered her off for a whole day) and got a grey screen - hmmm waited for the kettle etc and then hit the power button. Now she does not output anything to either display.

Oh well chucked the ram, vid card, USB card, hard disks out and in in multiple combos....tried a 7600 with only the windows drive in.....reset the pram..... nada!

Called apple - not much help (not a slur as Id already tried everything).

So its off to my apple centre here in Gibraltar tomorrow. See what Ludo can do for me (hes great in advice and sales so lets see how the support on a ten week old Mac Pro that I do lots of work i=on will be...).

Wish me luck (stuck on teh MBA for now which is ok except I cannie play Diablo II or COD4)....

:(

(I hope my feeling is correct and the NVidia is the culprit then Apples rp in my eyes will remain untarnished).

If anyone had booted their Windows drive with only a PC/BIOS gfx card in the Mac Pro please let me know if it is supposed to work or not....

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats a shame :/ Sounds like maybe a motherboard problem. Did you have it hooked to a UPS?

3. m1stake macrumors 68000

You can or cannot play Diablo II and COD4? My G4 plays Diablo II, so the MBA can too. COD4 on the other hand... Let's not talk about it.

Hope you can do get it running again :)

4. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

The Mac guys think its the vid card too - so theyve ordered one (they havent got one about that fits my mac)

So I have to wait until perhaps next tuesday.

No problem - no need to play games for a week (weep) Ill survive somehow

:)

5. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

W00T - Replacement card all is well again (and I have a 2600XT now as a backup - not getting me twice lol)

phew it wasnt anything more serious.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Good to hear it worked out for you - I keep my 7300 GT around just in case I need it even though I have an 8800 GT installed now.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Glad everything was taken care of and it's up and running again. :D