._ files being left on Windows volumes when files are copied

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gumbyx84, Feb 22, 2011.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Does anyone know why OS X leaves ._<file_name> files on FAT and NTFS volumes when files are copied to it? It doesn't happen to me all the time, but I've noticed it happening when I copy files to my MP3 Player (UMS device) lately and the player attempts to play them when in folder mode.

Also, is there an easy way to prevent this from happening or to at least remove the files easily? I know I can manually search for them, but some sort of app or script (preferably automated) would be easier (call me lazy if you must).

I'm not worried about .DS_Store or other hidden files (I do use custom icons for my PSP and MP3 player), so no worries about those.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those files are made because FAT32 and NTFS doesn't support the HFS+ meta data used on Mac OS X filesystems. There is no way to turn it off.

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Looking for an easy way to clean up system files (.DS_Store, ._)

Hey gumbyx84,

This is in regards to this post in another thread that is now locked?

I skipped over your initial post in the thread and answered in context to your second post. The suggestion of using Maintenance would not work for dealing with these files in your MP3 player and PSP.

That setting in Maintenance does remove the .DS_store files within OS X but I do not think it will work for connected devices or it would be impractical even if it did.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

OS X should have an option to remove these files but it doesn't. The only way I found is to show hidden files and delete them manually on your windows machine/work computer.

I only have to do this when I put a new SD card into my car radio and that is not that often so it's just a minor inconvenience.

5. munkery, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Has anyone suggested Hidden Cleaner. It seems like it may be a solution to your problem given its description and reviews on MacUpdate. I have not used it myself so you will have to test to see if this is a solution to your problem. Hope it helps.

DriveCleaner may be an even better solution. Again, I have not tried this. Hope it helps.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I use Hidden Cleaner on my non-HFS+ USB drives. It works well.

7. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

munkery: Ya the other post got locked, so I posted here to figure out what the files were created for. Thought it would help me figure out how to prevent them from getting on the volumes in the first place. No problem with the confusion.

Intell and munkery: Thanks for the heads up on what those files are called (resource forks) and what they are for (HFS metadata). Know I can act like I know what I'm talking about. ;)

I've read a review saying Hidden Cleaner isn't well written and prone to problems. Also, it doesn't specifically "target" FAT and NTFS volumes. Is this true? Sorry but after losing my entire HD to a failed reinstall, I am very weary of touching anything related to system files (some of the hidden files on the OS HD). I'm tempted to get BlueHarvest ($17) so I can get support incase something goes wrong.

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Hidden Cleaner and DriveCleaner both are made for removable media so if you got a spare USB drive, you could give them a try.

You may even be able to format the USB stick to FAT using Disk Utility to test if it works. Never tried myself.

9. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

I'll probably give it a test on an extra SD card I have laying around. One last question related to this: There will be no ill effects to deleting these right if the files does have any special attributes set right? I looked up AppleDouble resource forks and they don't seem that useful unless the files have special Finder attributes set.

PS Almost forgot. If I'm using custom folder/volume, I need to make sure not to delete .VolumeIcon.icns right?

10. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I am not sure. I believe those apps are set to find only specified hidden files. Is the icon used by your MP3 player? Is it causing problems? Maybe another thing you could test with your spare USB drive.

11. Damo01 macrumors regular

To the OP

You can't get rid of those .DS_store files since it part of the system , believe it or not those files will be re-created after you delete it.

12. afd macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend BlueHarvest, have used it for years without a problem.

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I second that recommendation

14. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Why it does not clean my usb flash disk?
    I have checked all the settings in preference pane.
    Still having these annoying files in my usb flash disk.
    Why it does not do the cleaning job?

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've never used BlueHarvest before, so I cannot comment on anything it does. However... there is a workflow I use to work around this annoyance. It involves using the Terminal - for those who prefer a GUI, I recommend the paid BetterZip application (available in the Mac App Store as well as from the developer's website). Anyway, here's how it works:
    1. First I create a temporary folder somewhere and copy all items to go on the thumb drive to that folder, or subfolders therein.
    2. I then ZIP compress the temporary folder (in Terminal, use the zip command; with BetterZip, use Compatibility mode).
    3. I copy the zip archive onto my thumb drive, take it with me to wherever I need to go, then decompress it on the other end.
    I'm not sure why this works, but I've had success with it. Plus, using this method speeds up the file transfer to/from the thumb drive.