Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
I just opened Motion on my nMP as I am about to take an online tutorial

I received this pop-up message, which I have never seen before, and have no idea whether to Allow or Deny

Anyone run into this using an Official Mac Application? Why would I want Motion (or any App for the matter) to see what I am typing while not using it?

Thank you and be well.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 3.41.39 PM.png

Last edited:

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
It's a missing thing in the plist. We had to deal with this for some apps when 10.15 came out and it was a bit of a head scratcher. A newer version of Motion should not bring up this message.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
It's a missing thing in the plist. We had to deal with this for some apps when 10.15 came out and it was a bit of a head scratcher. A newer version of Motion should not bring up this message.

OK - but, should it be denied?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I don't think the point is that Motion is monitoring other apps as if it was a keystroke logger, but rather an app like FCPX might interact with Motion while both are in use.

Regardless, there's no harm in Deny for now. If you end up doing something with FCPX and Motion that requires this ability you will get this popup again (or one similar to it). You can then go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy to grant the approval.

As previously mentioned, a software update for Motion and/or FCPX may also address this.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
I don't think the point is that Motion is monitoring other apps as if it was a keystroke logger, but rather an app like FCPX might interact with Motion while both are in use.

Regardless, there's no harm in Deny for now. If you end up doing something with FCPX and Motion that requires this ability you will get this popup again (or one similar to it). You can then go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy to grant the approval.

As previously mentioned, a software update for Motion and/or FCPX may also address this.

FCPX is my next online tutorial once I am done learning about Motion (although, I am sure I will keep referencing the tutorials again as there is a ton of information to digest but hey, I'm building new neural pathways in my brain learning new skills)

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I just opened Motion on my nMP as I am about to take an online tutorial

I received this pop-up message, which I have never seen before, and have no idea whether to Allow or Deny

Anyone run into this using an Official Mac Application? Why would I want Motion (or any App for the matter) to see what I am typing while not using it?

Thank you and be well.

View attachment 914166
I got a similar request from the game app "Ashi". Denied it and immediately deleted the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.