___HELP___Reinstalling a bigger boot camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Strach, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Strach macrumors newbie

Hi peeps,

I would really appreciate some advice.

I have got a Mac os x 10.5.6 with enough space (cos I got more put in at apple, so instead of 2/3 it has 4gb) and I installed Boot camp on it so I could run autocad. I only used 20g for the windows division. Now it is too small, and I only have 3% space left on the windows division, which means it crashes when I turn it on.

What I want to know is when I go to divide the hard drive again to say 40gb, will I have to wipe my mac and also get another copy of windows? Or can I copy the version of windows to a CD, or leave it on my computer and just extend the partition so that windows has some more space. Or do I have to reinstall my whole computer. I recognise that I might have to take the long route. I don't want to mess up if ya get me?

Any tips or tricks you may know (for a beginner) would be great.

Thanks,

Charlotte

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

just go into disk utility and resize the partition ;) click on the disk where the partition is, and resize it by dragging the slider on the left hand side ;)

look Here for some hints and tips ;)

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The safest thing to do is boot off of the Leopard CD you have, then use the disk utility to resize your Windows partition. It will erase all the info on that partition, but should leave your Mac OS partition alone.

Just be sure to read every warning dialog very carefully, as it fully explains which partitions will be erased and which ones won't.

4. Strach thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that is really helpful, much easier than i envisaged.

I'll give it a go.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Can Disk Utility resize a FAT32 or NTFS partition? If so, can it do it non-destructively? If not, download Winclone, make a backup of your Windows partition, then use Boot Camp Assistant to REMOVE the Windows partition, then recreate it with a bigger one. That will most definitely work.

6. Strach thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so, the way I understand this is to download 'Winclone', do I download 'winclone' onto the windows or mac? Then back up my windows, sorry to be stupid but how do I do this? I understand time machine but I'm not that good with pc's... something like this?

http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm

And i don't have the original windows disk, I may be able to get another but if there is a way of keeping mine then that would be better for me.

..go to disk utility, after backing up windows, then redivide the hard drive to give windows instead of 20g, up to 40g or 50g?

Then set up the reinstall of windows.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure..

Thanks,

..................Just found winclone, looks straightforward, no need to backup in windows on windows

Dunno how I could do that without your advice cheers

7. vizfxman macrumors regular

I increased the partition for Windows 7 recently using CampTune.

Granted it's not free (though it's not expensive either), but it worked flawlessly.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

You won't need the Windows disc if you make a backup with Winclone. Make the backup from the Mac side, then use Boot Camp assistant to DELETE the Windows partition. Then, re-run Boot Camp assistant to recreate the Win partition any size you want. Then, re-run Winclone to restore your Windows data. ¡Viola! You're finished, all your data is intact, and you'll have more space in Windows. Has worked like a charm every time I've used it...