a 10.5.2 success story (from someone who initially complained)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jakeopolis, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jakeopolis macrumors member

hey everyone,

i just wanted to share my experience with updating to 10.5.2 for some of you that are having issues with the update.

last week i updated through software update. no big deal. when my macbook rebooted, my router suddenly stopped broadcasting my wireless network. the only way to make it work was to manually reconfigure it with a non-10.5.2 computer (my girlfriend's macbook), but as soon as i turned my airport back on, BOOM, no more router. clearly this was unusable, so i used time machine to restore to 10.5.1 and everything was fine.

but i wasn't satisfied. i downloaded the 10.5.2 combo update from apple.com, made a time machine backup, and started from scratch. i did an erase and install with my 10.5.0 leopard disc, then immediately applied the combo update to 10.5.2. i manually dragged my files back from my time machine backup (except the system folder), and voila, everything works, no wireless problems!

now that i did it properly, my OS is running smoother than ever, and i'm having ZERO wireless dropouts (i used to have 4-5 per hour).

just wanted to say i'm finally HAPPY.

2. AndyK macrumors 6502a

AndyK

It's good to see someone making a post to praise and be positive about 10.5.2 as opposed to all the negativeness / whining.

Glad it all has worked out for you. :cool:

3. cwheatley macrumors member

after, i upgraded to 10.5.2, i had really persistent wireless dropouts, too.

since then i have repaired permissions, which didn't help. i think the thing that knocked it out was downloading and running the standalone install (or whatever) from apple. since then, i have had absolutely no problems.

go figure.

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

All of my problems disappeared when I used the 10.5.2 combo update. Even my ACL disk permission errors went away.