A 19" laptop?!?!

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
Yet another case of Mine-Is-Bigger-Than-Yours™.

I thought the point of a laptop was to be portable?!

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Widescreen iBooks

Apple is believed to have signed a deal with Quanta to produce a widescreen iBook.
very surprised the posters above didn't point this out

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
qzak said:
its been speculated for some time....

19" though, thats getting to be too much, and its not practical at all, Apple certainly won't do it

Dumb Dell with Dumb ideas

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
xli_ne said:
That thing would have to weigh around 20 lbs. Might as well get a small laptop with a extra LCD monitor for your backpack instead.
or carry around an iMac G5 :cool:

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
You laugh, but I definitely think there's a market for a computer like this: a computer that will mostly live on the kitchen counter, but occasionally gets moved upstairs so Johnny can do his homework while Mom cooks dinner, or to the Den for some serious gaming.

Such a computer would be much easier to move around than an iMac because the keyboard and mouse would be integrated into the machine itself, and there's no need to move the power supply.

I'd seriously consider such a computer -- if it was made by Apple!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I'm going to need to find a fold up desk for that thing, my god. 17" seems to much to me, thats why I went with a 15" PB for my last purchase. 19" is just pushing it way to far for practical use.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
ya ... seems like a laptop plus external monitor seems like the smarter solution. Besides, with many high-end laptops supporting dual display along with mirror, seems like if you REALLY want more realestate you could do that .... BUT ... i do like that idea that someone mentioned ... it seems an alternative to the iMac/all in one deals <-- i think there will be a market for this ... more of a portable desktop then anything else

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Well yeah it's huge and seems stupid, but a big company like Dell, it's not a "bigger bigger bigger! This will make us billions!". It's more of a "Bigger? It can be done? Why the hell not" kind of thing I suspect. Probably won't be a big seller, but I'm sure some people will buy it for one reason or other (legitimate or not).

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
thats a great idea

they can put these fold out legs on it so it turns into a coffee table when you close it

if you need to use it, you can place yer coffee on the built in retractable cup holder

i like it

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
qzak said:
That was the first thing I noticed. Wide screen iBooks, yea!

Now what was this article about again?....... :rolleyes: :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Maybe it'll fold in quarters, so it won't be that bad to carry. :D Either that, or you'll need one of those big portfolio cases that artists use to carry it! :eek:

LOL it's funny, though, how much the Windows majors have done to shift the conception of what a normal notebook looks like. My first notebook was an Armada 10.4" which was as small as my iBook 12". But people who have Windows laptops today (at school - of course not counting any Thinkpad or VAIO owners) seem astonished constantly at the size of my iBook, that there are such small notebooks.

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Maybe it'll fold in quarters, so it won't be that bad to carry. :D Either that, or you'll need one of those big portfolio cases that artists use to carry it! :eek:

LOL it's funny, though, how much the Windows majors have done to shift the conception of what a normal notebook looks like. My first notebook was an Armada 10.4" which was as small as my iBook 12". But people who have Windows laptops today (at school - of course not counting any Thinkpad or VAIO owners) seem astonished constantly at the size of my iBook, that there are such small notebooks.

i know what you mean, people always are amazed at my thinkpad x31

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
To me, Apple's 17" PowerBook is pushing it as it is in terms of size, I can't even imagine how counter-productive a 19" would be. If Apple were the ones releasing this then at least I'd have a little more confidence (Apple usually tends to do things RIGHT), but the fact that it's Dell scares me. Ah well, guess we'll see what they come out with, and where Apple's line-up is at when this happens.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
~Shard~ said:
To me, Apple's 17" PowerBook is pushing it as it is in terms of size, I can't even imagine how counter-productive a 19" would be.
While a 17" PowerBook would be too big for me, they are surprisingly portable for their size. The 15" PowerBooks are too.

I've seen eMacs with 17" screen space. Damn... 50 lbs of computer to lug around...

I guess Dell is REALLY copying Apple...

once Dell started fattening up the iPods they couldn't stop, could they?

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well since apple had the first 17" notebook...will they have the first 20" or 23" and if who would buy one :confused: