Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkenvamp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
So im about to get my mbp..and i actually was going to get the 2.2(128 vcard)..and plus buy logitech VX nano mouse,2.1 creative speakers,good brand cooling pad and a bag....but now i have the money to buy the 2.4 model...but if i choose it,i will not be able to buy anything else-even a mouse-....it will be my first MAC ever..so im too confused what to get..i will use it just for regular stuff(chatt,net,multimedia,maybe gaming,microsoft office..)..so i really dont know what i shall buy??

any opinions would be really welcomed :)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Unless you're using highly intensive applications all the time, the processor difference isn't going to be noticeable. And the difference between the video cards is less than 10%, so I say go with the 2.2GHz MacBook Pro.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
Unless you're using highly intensive applications all the time, the processor difference isn't going to be noticeable. And the difference between the video cards is less than 10%, so I say go with the 2.2GHz MacBook Pro.
ditto...you will enjoy your accessories more than the options in the 2.4 MBP

Napster

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2007
Chicago
Get 256MB of video RAM, you won't regret it.

200mhz isn't a big jump at all as far as processor is concerned. But I insist on the 256MB Video RAM.

Darkenvamp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
thanks for the replays :rolleyes:
i will not using for anything intensive...and i been thinking that the extra .2ghz and 256 vcard wont make real difference for me and my simple use.

any more opinions?!:eek:

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I think you should get the 2.4 now and the accessories later, because you can never upgrade the 2.2 to a 2.4 or to a better videocard, so in a few years you will have gotten another mouse and more speakers or changed your situation, but youll still be stuck with the inferior computer.

it's not greatly inferior of course, as above posters have said it's not a big difference, but to me, planning on using it for years and years, it's worthwhile to buy the best I can.

Darkenvamp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
I think you should get the 2.4 now and the accessories later, because you can never upgrade the 2.2 to a 2.4 or to a better videocard, so in a few years you will have gotten another mouse and more speakers or changed your situation, but youll still be stuck with the inferior computer.

it's not greatly inferior of course, as above posters have said it's not a big difference, but to me, planning on using it for years and years, it's worthwhile to buy the best I can.

well,thats a good point,but im so sure i wont use it for more than 3 or 4 years...and i do have 128vcard on my current laptop...and play all kind of games that work perfectly..so i dont know..paying all the money for the 2.4 sounds crazy and too expensive to me...i never paid even 2000 bucks on a laptop >_<

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
yah,so out of curious..why did you choose the Matte screen? i though that the glossy got better colors?!

I'm not a big fan of the glossy screens, despite the slightly better colors. I also hate the glare. idk, I guess I'm also just used to matte...

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

true, he can't upgrade the processor or the video card later, but will he ever really need or want to? in a couple years, there won't be many things a 2.4 ghz macbook pro will that a 2.2 ghz can't. to the op, even though i have a 2.4 ghz macbook pro, i'd say go with the 2.2 ghz. you've already admitted you aren't going to be doing anything that requires the additional horsepower and graphics memory. spend the difference on that mouse and possibly some speakers. the vx nano does look pretty cool.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
accessories ftw!

the processor difference is negligible imo...my base mbp is PLENTY fast

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I can never see myself choosing to get a mouse and a bag over a faster better unit. You might not wana play any games NOW but in the future when you do 256 of ram will matter. Just wait and buy your mouse and accessories off ebay.

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
As already stated, 200mhz is not a big difference. The vRAM doesn't really make that big of a difference either, it's about 10% (which has also already been stated). I optted for the 2.2ghz model as you can tell. And as the man said:
in a couple years, there won't be many things a 2.4 ghz macbook pro will that a 2.2 ghz can't.
I'd venture to say that there won't be anything a 2.4 can run that a 2.2 can't.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
The processor isn't really worth considering, its all about the graphics card.

I have the 2.4Ghz model and its lovely, but I must admit there is a big jump in price for the extra memory on the graphics card.

What ever one you choose you will love it :D

escalane

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
Is the Logitech VX Nano working with Bluetooth actually? If not I'd say that you could use your two USB slots better for other stuff like an UMTC internet modem or an external harddisk or a USB stick or a wacom tablet or one of these shexy usb lava lamps... *shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.