A 2012 MBP for $700? No Way!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joepunk, Mar 28, 2014.

1. joepunk, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Having a look around the local Craigslist I found this (see pic):

Sweet! I think to myself. It's either a 2012 or 2011. Though the 2011 had ATI graphics. So, it must be 2012 but there were no 2.5 but there was a 2.6. Possibly a typo by the seller. We've all done that at sometime.

All that for $700. I really hope it's true and close by. It's pretty much what I am looking for at an unbelievable to good to be true price. I bet it will be to good to be true too ;)

EDIT: The posted sale was flagged for removal as soon as I posted this.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You know what they say, if its too good to be true, then it usually is.

A 3,000 dollar computer now going for 700 a couple of years later - something up with it.

At the very least meet in a very public place and go over the computer with a fine tooth comb.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

to me, all the "free" extra software sounds so fishy. they are expensive packages.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. RedCroissant Suspended

It sounds fishy and might be fishy, but you also never know until you actually take the time to look it over. Sometimes business owners that give their employees machines will write something off of their books and want to get it sold so that they can buy new stuff and then write that off. That's how I got ym PM G5 Quad(with 23" ACD, keyboard, and mouse) for $200. I also got a PMG4 Qs with monitor and mouse and keyboard for FREE, along with a 20" iMac G5 1.8GHz with a printer, scanner, keyboard and mouse for FREE from the same guy.

If the ad comes back up, at least consider it seriously.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you get those things at those prices 2 years after the product was released?

I guess you haven't been around CL. Scammers post too-good-to-be-true prices all the time. It's a scam.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

No I didn't. I was simply saying that there is a "possibility" that it is a legitimate sale. After all, when I got the PMG5 quad with all the accessories for a total of $200, the going price for the tower alone was $400+. The going rate for a 23" ACD even on eBay is still $150+ for average condition displays. The throw in the keyboard and mouse, the OS in its original box and I saved more than 50% off the going rate for these items. The going rate for a 20" iMac G5 plus all those accessories I listed is reasonably in the $200 range, and the PMG4 (with an upgraded CPU and all accessories) could bring in at least $150. So spending $200 in total for 3 machines off of CL gives me the impression and the experience to say that there is a "possibility" of that sale being legitimate.

And yes, I have been around CL quite a bit and have dealt with my fair share of scammers.

I also recently (1 week ago) posted a free ad on CL for a 17" iMac G5 1.9GHz 1.5GB RAM w/ BT an AP including a 3rd party keyboard and mouse set. It was flagged and then subsequently deleted. Luckily, someone out there read the ad and decided to contact me anyway. And guess what they got..that's right a free iMac.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can't compare price range of a 10 year old product with a 2 year old product.

Scammers keep posting these scams because people will bite.

9. mactonight macrumors newbie

I see that type of craigslist scam all the time. What they all have in common is a too-good-to-be-true price, and no location listed. I'm pretty sure it's just there to harvest active email addresses from the people who respond.

10. RedCroissant Suspended

Of course you can in this context. The ads that I saw that I got free computers could be viewed in exactly the same way that the MBP ad is being viewed. Again, I'm not saying that the ad is completely legitimate.

How many people would honestly believe that someone would be selling a PMG5 quad complete setup for $200? How many people would believe that an iMac G5 with all necessary computer accessories was being given away for free? The same question goes for the PM G4 with all necessary accessories and even the iMac G3 that I was also given for free from the same person.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You don't seem to understand the difference between value of 10 year old electronics often available for near free, and 2 year old electronics that still has high value.

12. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

joepunk

I doubt it will come back up. I did consider it even though it was very fishy. This could have been the one person out of many who is clueless about what a new used mac should really be priced at. But I don't think so.

As long as it's not a bridge in Washington State ;)

Anyway, I started to inquire about a 2010 15" MBP i5 from an App development company that's upgrading their computers. It is going for $550. Should hold me for a year or two.

13. RedCroissant Suspended

You don't seem to understand that this thread was based around the possibility of an item being available at an incredible discount on CL and whether or not that was a legitimate ad. Then and now I still say that it is possible based on my experience with CL and getting numerous machines for little to no cost(the PMG5 was $200 an all other machines were given to me for free). I do understand the differences in value between the PPC Macs(plural) that I received and the MBP that the OP was talking about.

And "high value" is subjective. Put together a PM G5 quad system with 2 1TB HDDs, a 23" ACD in excellent condition, an Apple Pro Keyboard and mouse set(black), the OS X 10.4.3 retail installation DVD in the box, the ACD User's manual, and the PM G5 user manual. Let me know what you come up with for a good and reasonable estimate for all items in excellent condition.

The point I made previously that I am also making now is not just the estimated monetary value of the item(s) in question, but in fact the possibility of a CL ad being legitimate when the item being sold or given away happens to be priced far below usual expectations.

14. phuocsandiego macrumors member

And you seem to underestimate the value of electronics older than 5, 7 or 10 years. There's still A LOT of value in some of them and something worth $400 is nothing to sneeze at when you can use it and get it at half its market price. RedCroissant was making a valid point... sometimes a deal that is too good to be true can simply be a super great deal. Just because it might not have the same value to you doesn't mean you have to be an ass about it. So quit being an ass; it was a legitimate point he made with examples.

As a shareholder of major consumer goods companies, I love people like you. Planned obsolescent generates even more revenue.

15. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

16. RedCroissant Suspended

I'm glad someone here can recognize this. And just to illustrate my point further, here's a nice little CL link for an INCREDIBLE discount (yes again on older machines)...

Apple CL Sale

17. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I often sell my stuff at prices like this. People pick it up asap with no haggling and complaining. They don't sit there for 3 hours looking through all the options and then try to save $20. It's much more convenient for me to sell things cheaper than market value. With that said... of course, make sure it's legitimate.