a 3g larger size wonderment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theotherguy, May 20, 2008.

1. theotherguy macrumors member

I just dropped my iphone into the cradle to charge it and had a thought. Would the larger 'supposed' size (i.e. the bump in the back as rumored) mean I could not to cradle and charge a newer iphone in the formers dock? I wonder because I have apples bluetooth headset and the new 3G would likely have to fit in the older docks or those like me would be screwed and need to charge the iphone and the headset separately (omg cords galore).

The mockups have the back bump beginning at the bottom base. To fit in the cradle, the bump would have to start about 1/2 to 1 inch from the bottom (its snug as it is. Thoughts?

2. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i would think the new iPhone would come with a new cradle and would be included in the box like the original iPhone. so no matter what size the new iPhone is, if it requires a new cradle it would be included.

3. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

I think the big question like theotherguy said is will it have a charging area for the BT earpiece.

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I think the OP is talking about the iPhone Dual Dock that charges both the phone and headset.

If the form of the iPhone changes enough yes, you will be required to buy a new dock if you need the Dual Dock functionality. I'm not sure why Apple didn't just make the iPhone dock one of the universal ones and do the same for the Dual Dock so that once you had one all you needed would be the new adapter... But of course then you couldn't milk more money out of your customers.

5. theotherguy thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I meant the dual dock (figured if you found yourself this deep on a iPhone 'fan' site, you'd be aware of the dual dock, no offense).

I kind of wondered why they did not make the phone docks with adapters as well, I just figured one piece was easier/cheaper to manufacture than more plastic

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You'd think that but they already have to make the adapters for the universal dock and the iPhone, why not make the dual dock universal and future-proof yourself. If you make it universal to start with you don't need to change it every time a product form changes, you just keep making the same dock. How much money will be spent re-tooling/re-designing the dual dock to fit the new phone, where if they had done it universal to begin with they just had to make an adapter and keep selling the dock as is.