iOS A 500 images app

digitalfortress

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Hello everyone,

i'm considering developing an application that has over 500 images, something like a book with more functionality, what is the best way to implement it, scrollview or page view ?? if not then what else!!

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
I think the overall process would be alot easier then writing it in Objective-C, but since there is functionality you can't have there (i never tried it, so i'll take your word for it). It's gonna be hard :) Because, if you add 500 images, your app will insta crash because of memory overload.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
It's gonna be hard :) Because, if you add 500 images, your app will insta crash because of memory overload.
Couldn't you just have the 500 images as files that the app loads as required? Keep only the current page, + 2 pages in each direction in memory. Then as they swipe through, the pages load fairly quickly.

digitalfortress

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Couldn't you just have the 500 images as files that the app loads as required? Keep only the current page, + 2 pages in each direction in memory. Then as they swipe through, the pages load fairly quickly.
well, yea I guess thats what I had in mind.

But my question is, which control should i use, PageViewController or ScrollViewController or something else?

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Yeah sure, that's how I would code it, but a newbie guy would have no idea how to start it, so mostly what happens then they add 500 images to a scrollview, and it will work, but then bam, out of memory.. :/
So maybe try looking into something like MWPhotoBrowser or something, that does all the memory shizzle for you :)

Gz, jNoxx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.